Photo CASS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greg52083

Anyone know anything about whats going to happen Sept 23rd when Photo CASS is required. I heards some airlines and/or airports are not ready?

I believe there is talk about extending the deadline because there are a handful of airlines that will not be compliant on 9/23.

I'm not sure if any regionals will be compliant. The problem is all the old green screens around the system. Only windows based PCs can display the pictures. SInce the regionals are reliant on their mainline partners there is little we can do. We are hoping the TSA issues an extention.

mckpickle said:
I'm not sure if any regionals will be compliant. The problem is all the old green screens around the system. Only windows based PCs can display the pictures. SInce the regionals are reliant on their mainline partners there is little we can do. We are hoping the TSA issues an extention.

which so far they have not budged on, and have taken the stand that everyone knew about this date for a long time, so there is no excuse for not complying. Let's hope they back down.

The pressure will come from the ATA. Since the mainline carriers rely on the regionals they'll raise cain if we're kicked out. ALAS, we may be able to convince them to at least allow the stations that are compliant to remain in cass. I believe that most regionals will be able to send picture data. We'll see I guess.

My understanding is when we signed up, You could do Photo or not (photo was extra $$$) and that it was one or the other...Was told that only a couple had Photo and for some reason, the cargo carriers came to mind...I will try to find out more.
PSACPSP

The latest I read was that the ATA had applied for an extension. They were saying that some computers at outstations were not able to be upgraded because they were owned/operated by the individual airports and those airports were refusing to upgrade them.

PSAChiefPilots said:
My understanding is when we signed up, You could do Photo or not (photo was extra $$$) and that it was one or the other...Was told that only a couple had Photo and for some reason, the cargo carriers came to mind...I will try to find out more.
PSACPSP

Not really true. Each airline needed it's IT department to develop the software for this. There is no increased cost just to have pictures. The development cost is extra just due to the extra IT man hours involved. Of course when this first started almost 2 years ago, pictures weren't even part of the deal! Gotta love the TSA.

So what happens at the small outstations with the green-screen terminals that can only display text? Will you still be able to use your passport as the photo ID, or is the digital picture required? I don't see airlines spending millions to upgrade computers at outstations just for jumpseaters.

Latest resources

Back