• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Phoenix Air in GA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know different because I work there. It is much to complicated to post. The pay is very competitive and there is a guarantee.

AK

Hey AK and others,

I think "competetive" is too subjective of a term here. I worked there as well for a number of years and wouldn't have described it that way. I haven't been there for 5 or so years, but I do have numerous friends still there, and haven't heard of any pay system changes. But I'll answer in past tense to be fair:

You were paid on a flight hour basis at a tabled rate (first year FO when I was there was $30 p/fh and a first year captain was $58 p/fh) according to your position and length of employment. I'm sure those have probably increased some due to COL increases but I wouldn't call those amounts competetive. If your monthly flight hour pay did not exceed your monthly base, you would be paid the difference up to that base amount (it was $1,400 p/m for FO and $2,000 p/m for Captain when I was there). Again, not at all competetive. That base amount generally wouldn't even pay most peoples bills, and there were occasions, particularly on the military side of the house, that there was no flying going on for the month so thats all you got. On the other hand, there will be months when your hourly pay will add up to quite a bit (it is a 135 operation, but much of your flying is part 91 and public use so you may easily fly well over limits at other carriers). There were a very few, and AK might be one of them, that were paid differently due to being hired for specific contracts or outbases on salary basis.

All that being said, I will stress it is one of the most enjoyable and exciting flying jobs out there, but the schedule and type of flying is demanding. In my experience, I have never flown with a more talented group of pilots as a whole (yes, there are always a couple of sh*tbirds). I would recommend it to anybody that doesn't mind traveling and can be away from home for extended periods, because you will stay gone for lengths at a time, and that is how you make money there!

Hey AK and others,

I think "competetive" is too subjective of a term here. I worked there as well for a number of years and wouldn't have described it that way. I haven't been there for 5 or so years, but I do have numerous friends still there, and haven't heard of any pay system changes. But I'll answer in past tense to be fair:

You were paid on a flight hour basis at a tabled rate (first year FO when I was there was $30 p/fh and a first year captain was $58 p/fh) according to your position and length of employment. I'm sure those have probably increased some due to COL increases but I wouldn't call those amounts competetive. If your monthly flight hour pay did not exceed your monthly base, you would be paid the difference up to that base amount (it was $1,400 p/m for FO and $2,000 p/m for Captain when I was there). Again, not at all competetive. That base amount generally wouldn't even pay most peoples bills, and there were occasions, particularly on the military side of the house, that there was no flying going on for the month so thats all you got. On the other hand, there will be months when your hourly pay will add up to quite a bit (it is a 135 operation, but much of your flying is part 91 and public use so you may easily fly well over limits at other carriers). There were a very few, and AK might be one of them, that were paid differently due to being hired for specific contracts or outbases on salary basis.

All that being said, I will stress it is one of the most enjoyable and exciting flying jobs out there, but the schedule and type of flying is demanding. In my experience, I have never flown with a more talented group of pilots as a whole (yes, there are always a couple of sh*tbirds). I would recommend it to anybody that doesn't mind traveling and can be away from home for extended periods, because you will stay gone for lengths at a time, and that is how you make money there!

It has changed since you were here.

AK

It has changed since you were here.

AK
Hey AK,

Definitely glad to hear that for you guys, like I said my info is based on 5 years ago. Maybe someone will post some more current pay/policy information for the board. I'll ask around and see what updated information I can get to help out.

P.S. AK, just did a flight out of south FL with a bunch of amateur musicians, sat around out west playing guitar all weekend. You would have liked it.

Hey AK,

Definitely glad to hear that for you guys, like I said my info is based on 5 years ago. Maybe someone will post some more current pay/policy information for the board. I'll ask around and see what updated information I can get to help out.

P.S. AK, just did a flight out of south FL with a bunch of amateur musicians, sat around out west playing guitar all weekend. You would have liked it.

That would have been cool!

What part of S. FL?

AK

i cant believe those guys cut a cargo door in a G3, let alone on the right side of the aircraft. not saying its a bad thing just unorthodox!

i cant believe those guys cut a cargo door in a G3, let alone on the right side of the aircraft. not saying its a bad thing just unorthodox!

They have a G-3 with cargo door? Cool. I wonder if it has a missile rail.

When I was in the service years ago I worked some with Phoenix Air, they are a fascinating outfit. Mark, the owner, was very proud of his G-I and the cargo door.

He said the door was installed by Eastern Mechanics who worked cheap because they were on strike.

Mark had a ramp full of Lears, but he seemed to have a real soft spot for the G-I and its door.

There are several G159's with cargo doors that Phoenix has in service (both hydraulic and manual types), and yes, they do have hard points.

The specific GIII you're speaking of and pictured is one of two at Phoenix. They were purchased from the Dutch military in their Special Missions configuration, I guess they like their doors to starboard.

Latest resources

Back