• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

phillips xc 20w50 or sae50

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As it happens, I have been using Aeroshell multi-viscocity oil (15W50) in the Continental A-65 installed in my PA-11 for several years. I am satisfied witht the results so far, but a definitive decision will have to wait untill the next overhaul.

Of course that oil is not in the manufacturer's specifications for that engine because multi-viscocity oils were not avilable when it was designed. I guess I don't need to worry about a warranty after 64 years.

I did have two concerns when starting to use this oil. The heaviest weight oil specified by Continental is 40 and now I am using oil that runs up to 50 weight in the engine. That has caused no known problems so far.
My other concern is that multi-grade oils are reputed not to stick to internal components of the engine as long during periods of disuse. The jury is still out on that one. I'll just have to see how much wear and internal corrosion there is inside the engine when it is torn down for overhaul.

By the way, this engine is not equipped with an oil filter. It just has the brass oil screen that was originally installed.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back