phillips xc 20w50 or sae50

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J3guy

Hi all, I fly a small continental at higher elevations and am having trouble with high oil temps and then low pressure at low rpms and on the ground. i recently switched to the XC stuff and am now experiencing this. Other than wait until this heat wave is over, what else should i do? Should i go back to the aeroshell straight weight? Engine has 100 smoh. thanks to all

Here is my 2 cents worth on this subject. Keep in mind that it has been a few years since I have used my A&P but when you drain your Phillips X-C oil have you ever looked at it as it pours out. Looks pretty crappy, and grey colored after 25 hours of use. AeroShell on the other hand is much cleaner and has more viscosity to it than the X-C oil. I have used both in my workings as an A&P but my preference is AeroShell. These are just my observations but I think AeroShell is a superior product over X-C.

Have run both Aeroshell and the XC multigrade oils in my Lyc O-360 for years. No difference noted in EGT/CHT/Oil temps. Check your baffles.

J3guy do you subscribe to the cub newsletter? It seems to me there was an article written in he past about high temps and low pressures by one of the experts. I'm not near my home base or else I would research it for you.

No, I've never heard of that cubman. i'm thinking i'm probably just going to switch back to the aeroshell, thanks

Cubclub.org. You can call or email them and order all the previous newsletter. It is a must have for all Cub owners.

Here is my 2 cents worth on this subject. Keep in mind that it has been a few years since I have used my A&P but when you drain your Phillips X-C oil have you ever looked at it as it pours out. Looks pretty crappy, and grey colored after 25 hours of use. AeroShell on the other hand is much cleaner and has more viscosity to it than the X-C oil. I have used both in my workings as an A&P but my preference is AeroShell. These are just my observations but I think AeroShell is a superior product over X-C.

Wouldn't the Phillips X-C oil looking grungier than Aeroshell after use indicate that it was doing a better job keeping contaminents in suspention? I don't know the answer to that question, I'm just wondering.

I follow and agree with your logic Waldom but the guys in the hangar I was working at somehow convinced me that AeroShell was a better oil. I wish I could remember why. Another argument of mine was that the filter wasnt doing a good job of filtering the oil. It did convince me to look at the oil when it pours out which most people dont do. The AeroShell does look and feel better as it pours out. X-C looks and feels pretty grungy.

Latest resources

Back