Pet peeves from the ATC folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJA Capt said:
Hold, Why does the "turn the slow aircraft" rule only apply when the slow aircraft is non-airline?? When the overtaking aircraft is corporate, ATC turns or delays the corp aircraft instead if the "slow" airliner. Why the double standard?
I agree with NJA Capt. ATC's goal should be efficiency and maximum traffic flow. I got eight low altitude 120 - 180 degree S-turns to keep me behind airliners coming out of New York last week! Once they cleared me to altitude my normal cruise speed caused me to pass them anyway.

Let me climb and get out of your way. I never file for anything less than FL450 unless it's a very short flight.

And consider speeding me up rather than slowing me down to get the spacing you need for lower slower traffic. I don't mind being assigned, "Max forward speed, please."

GV

GVFlyer said:
I agree with NJA Capt. ATC's goal should be efficiency and maximum traffic flow. I got eight low altitude 120 - 180 degree S-turns to keep me behind airliners coming out of New York last week! Once they cleared me to altitude my normal cruise speed caused me to pass them anyway.

Let me climb and get out of your way. I never file for anything less than FL450 unless it's a very short flight.

And consider speeding me up rather than slowing me down to get the spacing you need for lower slower traffic. I don't mind being assigned, "Max forward speed, please."

GV

I think you're seeing my point about the D-RVSM BS... Am I the only one that has witnessed zero benefit to RVSM. It seems to have made no difference in optimum cruise altitude availability as far as I can tell. The bottle neck in the national airspace system has never been enroute, it's been in a simple lack of pavement at the airports. All D-RVSM has accomplished is to effectively increase the capacity to throw more aircraft at the same existing bottle neck that was there all of the time. Then you throw in these little "letter of agreements" the various centers have with each other to collude in a conspiracy to inflate traffic counts and you have a recipe for nothing in terms of efficiency. I used to love getting dropped down just low enough to have to check in through Springfield Approach on our way in to Rogers, AR. What the heck is that all about ???

Last edited:
81Horse said:
Try, "May I have your operating initials, please?"
All because the controller turned you off the airway? How about, after he hears that he will be pissed off and violate some hard working pilot right behind you for not turning fast enough.

Pick your battles.

Stealthh21 said:
All because the controller turned you off the airway? How about, after he hears that he will be pissed off and violate some hard working pilot right behind you for not turning fast enough.

Pick your battles.

Yes, pick your battles. I didn't ask the original question -- somebody else did. Guess I should have used the little winkything ;) I thought about using, but didn't.

Also, controllers don't "violate" pilots. At least not in the legal sense. <winkything again>

Slowing down might be a big problem for some, no big deal really, glad to help ATC out, I do scratch my head though when a local controller (usually, but not always, at a small airport) asks me to "square my base to final" after I am on base leg, lol.:laugh:

81Horse said:
Yes, pick your battles. I didn't ask the original question -- somebody else did. Guess I should have used the little winkything ;) I thought about using, but didn't.

Also, controllers don't "violate" pilots. At least not in the legal sense. <winkything again>

They sure do get the ball rolling don't they.

Stealthh21 said:

No, for not giving a reason for vectors even after being asked repeadetly; then having the controller badger me as the pilot for asking. Radios do fail (and it HAS happened to me)...

GVFlyer said:

GV
Safe, Orderly, and Expeditious.

gkrangers said:
Safe, Orderly, and Expeditious.

How does that apply here?

What's safe about keeping an airplane down in the high density airspace longer than necessary? What's expeditious about repeatedly heading an airplane North, then South, then North again 8 times when say, the pilot's trying to head West? And, I bet it doesn't look too orderly to the passengers in the back looking at the Airshow.

Latest resources

Back