Personal Bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pipejockey

Just curious if any of you have been hired after declaring bankruptcy. Is this really the death knell of a pilot? I don't see how ones personal finances are anybodys business except if you are applying for credit. Sometimes you fall on hard times due to circumstances beyond ones control. Sure, there are people who just spend like its going out of style, and then wonder why they are in so much debt. But I really feel that your personal finances are not your employers business, and at the very least, shouldn't be allowed to be accessed until after being offered an interview. That way, you can have a chance to explain yourself if necessary.

I only knew of Majors that checked credit (DAL comes to mind) And considering thier state right now, I wouldn't be too worried. I cant think of any non-majors that check your credit history.

Shiznit happens..... Good Luck!

I think everybody checks credit history now 'days. Bankruptcy is a black flag...

even many corporate gigs check your credit history now.

I think its crazy...but I dont make the rules.

I dont think your credit history should be shared with anyone unless you are applying for credit (call me crazy)

I know the fractionals check your credit history.

I think that it makes perfect sense. They do this in corporate America too, not just to pilots. Your credit report speaks volumes about your ability to be responsible and also on how you follow through with your obligations.
Just my $.02

Has anyone calimed bankruptcy for medical related debt or divorce? I heard that they are the most common reasons for bankruptcy. I was wondering if they can view this as something that was your fault.

duksrule said:
I think that it makes perfect sense. They do this in corporate America too, not just to pilots. Your credit report speaks volumes about your ability to be responsible and also on how you follow through with your obligations.
Just my $.02

Well I posted this thread to get responses from a variety of people, and I appreciate your opinion duksrule, but I totally disagree. There are a variety of reasons that one cannot live up to their financial obligations. Apparently you have never had financial problems, I envy you. I see you're in the Navy, that helps! The government takes care of many of your needs. I have posted this thread in the first General section and have explained my situation in detail there, if you're interested.

Cracker's post mentions divorce and it got me thinking. It's quite ironic that a company feels that a bankrutcy filing by an individual is considered negative because it shows that the individual doesnt follow through with their obligations. Yet marriage is a contract between a MAN and a WOMAN, regardless of what the liberal courts say, but a divorce filing wouldnt be held against anyone, and might even be illegal if it were. One who files for divorce is not living up to the contract they had with each other. Whats the difference?

Pipejockey, for what it's worth, I know quite a few pilots who got hired with less than stellar credit. While a personal bankruptcy certainly doesn't help, it's not the kiss of death either. To a large extent it depends on how you are dealing with it and what you are doing today to reestablish your credit. If you are in an interview don't try to hide the fact that you went through a personal bankruptcy or deflect personal responsibility, turn it into a positive by sharing what you have learned from the experience and how it has changed the way you live your life today for the better. We all make mistakes, no one is perfect, but it is what we learn from our mistakes that makes the difference.

Thanks. Actually I have not filed yet. My FICO score is 760 and I hate to see it go:(

Latest resources

Back