Perimeter Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichardRambone

Anyone know of Perimeter Airlines outta Winnipeg, Canada? I'd like to know the usual, QOL, pay all that good stuff a potential first officer would like to know. Any help would be appreciated.

RichardRambone said:
Anyone know of Perimeter Airlines outta Winnipeg, Canada? I'd like to know the usual, QOL, pay all that good stuff a potential first officer would like to know. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you ever lived in Winnipeg? The summers are nice, but the other 11 months can be pretty miserable. Try this. Perimeter Aviation.

PS: Winnipeg's actually pretty nice.

If you've never even been to Canada, then I highly doubt you have the right to work there. Are you a Canadian citizen or legally landed emigrant? Do you hold Canadian certificates? If the answer to all these questions is not yes, then you are out of luck.

If thats the case I must be SOL. Just looking for a job that I happened to actually have enough experience to apply for and I stumbled upon these guys.

Perimeter Aviation does not have a good reputation. But regardless, if you do not have the legal right to work in Canada and do not possess Canadian Certificates then you can forget it.

I just got hired by Perimeter actually. We started operations too now in Thompson (800 km North of YWG), and that is where I am based. I am working in a non-flying job, which will lead into a FO job on the Metro in due time.

We are getting our BE99s shortly, and we will also be getting some new Metros too by winter. We have been expanding a lot lately, and it seems that it will continue. We are losing pilots to Westjet, Air Canada, Cathay, etc.

Perimeter does have a great reputation in Canada, and that is why I decided to join them. All the flying is pretty much throughout Manitoba into the small native communities. It would be pretty stressful, IMHO, to take a metro onto a small gravel strip, but I am sure the experience is great.

uwochris said:
Perimeter does have a great reputation in Canada...

What's the pay like? What are the schedules like? What's the boss like? How long do you think you are going to work the non-flying job before you get to see the inside of the cockpit?

Last edited:
Dave,

In Canada, hiring people for non-flying jobs is very common. Many companies do this up here. It's a way for them to hire cheap and motivated labour, but it's also a way for the company to weed out the good potential pilots from the bad ones. I know this practice is not common in the USA, and I wish it was the same here in Canada. The last groundschool of pilots had 15 ramp guys in it. Experience ranged from 6-12 months. I was told to expect 1 year, and that is the mentality that I have, but it looks like it could be a little shorter.

At the moment, I am earning $8.5/hr. It goes up an extra $1 in a few months or so. I have dental and other medical benefits, and after 6 months, I get cheap travel on Westjet.

For pilots, I believe the pay to start is in the low-to-mid $20,000 range. Believe it or not, some captains have cracked $100,000, but that is very rare. I'm not sure what it tops out at, but the pay here is good, and there are many people here that are doing this for a living. The pilots are unionized too, so moral is good.

Management is also great. I have only met a few of the top people, and they seemed very easy going. We just had a barbeque yesterday too for employee appreciation. 2 weeks ago our base manager bought all the ramp guys pizza. If you work hard, then you will get treated well.

Although I would much rather be living in a bigger city, closer to civilization, and be flying the Metro, I am glad where I am. I know that I will have my shot to fly some time in the future, and that I can spend a long time here before moving on to a major airline.

Latest resources

Back