• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Perception of Pilot Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I went to court with my wife on support and custody issues, the judge looked at my statement of earnings, and declared "I don't believe this for a minute. Pilots make more money than this!" Then he awarded her support based on what he believed I was making. This despite my presentation of a paystub as proof to the contrary.

On the subject of pilot pay perception, I find that's not uncommon at all.

avbug,
Your ex-wife didn't support your claim? Good thing you divorced her.
I've been flying professionally since '89 and I still haven't come close to the six figure mark.

Pilot pay

Interesting CNBC thread. Nor am I surprised about the perception of pilot pay.

My first aviation job was my best aviation job. For a time, I was making more than I ever made in radio, and was paid equal to a commuter captain's of the time. Each succeeding job paid worse than its predecessor.

What kills me about commuter pay is those pilots are every bit as responsible for safety, passengers and million-dollar equipment as their majors bretheren. Yet, many regional pilots need food stamps to help make ends meet.

Ya know, the thought struck me just now that PFT is alive and well, only it's hidden from view. This $18-20 per flight hour business the first year is simply a result of companies recouping their training costs off the backs of their newhires.

Paying for training is entirely different. The new kids on the block, those who entered the industry in the past few years, seem to think it was invented just for them. It's been around for a long time: decades.

Low wages have been around a lot longer. Genuine old timers will recognize this fact, and can tell you how much they made when they were getting in. You'd be shocked.

Those who engage in paying for their training, or in other words, elect to buy their jobs, are in a different category entirely than those who earn their jobs by competition. The wages paid have no bearing on the subject. If you think that the more money one gets paid, the more legitimate something is, then murder must be justified if enough dollars are spent in the offing. I don't think so.

Perhaps this is why those who engage in purchasing their jobs commit such a heinous act in the eyes of those of us who earned ours. Do ya think?

avbug said:
Those who engage in paying for their training, or in other words, elect to buy their jobs, are in a different category entirely than those who earn their jobs by competition. The wages paid have no bearing on the subject. If you think that the more money one gets paid, the more legitimate something is, then murder must be justified if enough dollars are spent in the offing. I don't think so.

Perhaps this is why those who engage in purchasing their jobs commit such a heinous act in the eyes of those of us who earned ours. Do ya think?

OH BOY! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!

Bobbysamd, I swear, had nothing to do with starting this subject again!

Relax. The nature of the thread hasn't changed. It started out titled pilot pay, and remains about pilot pay.

Latest resources

Back