• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Perception of CMR pilots in the media

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apprently the software freaked out and won't accept any spaces in myparagraph. Sorry for the difficult read. I tried to edit it but it keptgetting worse.

wrigley23 said:
After sitting back and taking a minute to ponder, I agree, let him fester in his own ignorance.

wrigley,

I've seen this "...let's inform the public..." issue come and go over the years. In the late '80's, ALPA even took a shot at it by spending a rather large amount of YOUR dues money in an ad campaign to polish up the image of airline pilots. I'm afraid that, at best, it accomplished nothing; at worst, made us look foolish. The only fallout I saw was two paragraphs in a national magazine questioning the motives behind the campaign. You know, "...methinks he doth protest too much...".

I would only ask the proponents of informing the public what they expect to get in return for the effort. Will the public write angry letters to the management supporting your position ? Will they boycott your airline until management comes to their senses and see it your way ? I think not.

There's nothing in it for the public to support you. The profession's best, and only, support will come internally. If there's a fight to be fought, don't look outside for allies. But, that's OK.

The public already has a perception of the profession ( when they even bother to think about it...and why would they ? ) and you've seen/heard it: overpaid, underworked, prima donnas, union goons holding management hostage, part-time employees, people who got a sweet deal they don't deserve....

This, too, is OK. You aren't responsible for other's perceptions; they are. I guess what this ramble is saying is that professional aviation has to look after itself by turning to itself and not trying to factor in any public support.

Just an opinion.

Bebop said:
Funny how Comair has a lower CASM than ACA, AWAC, EAGLE, EXPRESS JET, ASA, and SKYWEST. Take a look at TABLE 12 at the following link.

Comair pilots, stand strong, stand fast.

http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2004/bts025_04/html/bts025_04.html

And they did it again in the third quarter. Of course, it is all academic if Delta does not get out of being in the same sentences with US Air's financial performance.

http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2004/bts035_04/html/bts035_04.html

Last edited:
DiverDriver said:
Careful what you tell the press. Remember what was done with all the Mesa letters sent about the ASE service.

I guess I missed that one. I remember the article about the guy complaining about having to ride on the Dash, but what was done with the Mesa letters?

Re: Perception of CMR pilots...

wrigley23 said:
But Buttrell faces challenges, including:

• High labor costs at Comair in comparison with other regional airlines.

• A fractious and sometimes stubborn pilot union, which went on strike in spring 2001 for 89 days. The union said no to Comair's request last year to take a pay cut.

---------
Hey CVG guys, send this Pilcher guy an email and tell him he needs to educate himself more about the industry...

Pilcher is a reporter and he's just reporting what Buttrell has said.

How about the perception of Comair pilots in the crew-room? In the airports? In the industry at large?

Self rightous. Arrogant. Immature group of sophomoric children who believe that they are owed something more than what they are willing to work for.

When is Comair amendable?

When is the Comair contract amendable again? With the pace of contract talks at ASA, DCI may have a full scale riot on their hands if they have to deal with both of us at once. I relish the thought of a good fight! I would suggest Freddie Boy not take his autographed picture of Frank Lorenzo to his new office in CVG.

Latest resources

Back