Per Diem Deduction Question - Taxes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BluDevAv8r

On October 1, 2005, the GSA increased the FY2006 per diem rates substantially. Now even though they are for FY2006, does that mean I can use those rates for my 2005 tax return since they are effective 10/1/05? If this is the case, it will help people out significantly.

-Neal

Hopefully Uncle Sam will allow 100% of pilot earnings to be deducted as a charitable contribution. Remember pilot wages support such idiotic fares such as JFK-AUS for $79.00. Try driving that for the same price.

conman said:
Hopefully Uncle Sam will allow 100% of pilot earnings to be deducted as a charitable contribution. Remember pilot wages support such idiotic fares such as JFK-AUS for $79.00. Try driving that for the same price.

Thank you for spreading the word. Yes, jetBlue now flies from JFK to AUS. And, for a limited time, you can take advantage of their introductory fare of just $79 each way.

Give us some credit. We are, after all, the first airline to come up with the idea of offering a low fare on a new route to generate interest and excitement about our product.

Actually, I shouldn't really be talking about this. There could be some other airline marketing types lurking on these boards trying to pick up on a fresh marketing idea. :rolleyes:

Hutcha said:
Thank you for spreading the word. Yes, jetBlue now flies from JFK to AUS. And, for a limited time, you can take advantage of their introductory fare of just $79 each way.

Give us some credit. We are, after all, the first airline to come up with the idea of offering a low fare on a new route to generate interest and excitement about our product.

Actually, I shouldn't really be talking about this. There could be some other airline marketing types lurking on these boards trying to pick up on a fresh marketing idea. :rolleyes:

Do you think any cheap ass pilots would pay for a ticket??? We ride for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neal,

They are subject to change every Oct because that's when the federal fiscal year begins. When I do my taxes I compute everything prior to Oct at the old rate and everything after 1 Oct at the new rate. Everything I've read on the subject seems to agree that's how it should be done.

...fresh marketing idea.

Yeah, what a "Eureka!" moment. "Hey! Let's sell tickets for way less than what it costs us to fly the route!"
And the Guiness dude replies, "Brilliant!"

Hi!

Caveman is correct. The perdiem and mileage rates to be used on your taxes changes every year, as of Oct 1. So, you need to calculate the rates according to when you were elligible for perdiem/mileage.

Cliff
GRB

Latest resources

Back