• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Peidmont "Minimums" - Have A Pulse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, they couldn't possibly upgrade until they can hold an ATP, which won't be for a another 1000 hrs. for the 500hr pilots. Who knows 2 yrs or so, doesn't seem any different than a regular hire(non UND) according to my train of thought.

Hold on now...

I normally don't respond, but I have to set the record straight....

I'm a 98 UND grad, flew the -8 at PDT for two years (best A/C ever by the way). Just like the current prison scandle in Iraq, there were a few d*ck heads that walked into ground school with a massive chip on their shoulder. Believe me they were the same way at UND. Most of the people I knew were humble and greatful for the chance.

This bad attitude was by FAR not the normal. In fact UND folks might have put up with MORE s*hit because we had less time. I had captains that would grill me for the first leg or so, once they found out I could fly they went back to sleep. Most of the time I ended up a babysitter....just like most of the FOs on this site.

When I got hired the mins were still 1000 and 250. Now 500 and 50? Even I question that.

By the way, these FOs won't have to worry about upgrade- the company won't be around long enough. Sucks, great people to work with- havn't seen any of them in a long time.... lost my medical. That's another story for another thread.

Exdash

sorry about you losing your medical. Thats why when i wanted to major in something, i chose the non aviation route just in case. I met some und pilots, not that many, but most of them were nice with a couple of real arrogant sobs. It all ends down to what your parents taught you,...either you treat people with respect or you treat people like shiiieeet....somehow or another, it will get back to you.

Again, sorrry about the medical and if you want a non-flying job, pm me cuz i know some people in the aviation industry working with the majors who can help you secure a good job.

I left PDT because of no upgrades. I would have been there 4 years this summer as a FO. Don't go there thinking about an upgrade, you’re a fool if your thinking upgrade at PDT. Go there and think about going elsewhere real fast.

You will now start seeing upgrades at Piemdont. I have been hearing that a bunch of senior Captains are now going to Bid MDA. For most, since they take there longevity for pay, many will be making about 35 Grand more to fly the EMB 170's.
Some of our FO's are bidding MDA also, and this will be cause for a bunch of movement within Piedmont Airlines (I believe since ALG, and Piedmont merge on the July 1) and will soon become part of MDA.
Remember with the EMB 170's US Airways is in a better position then a bunch of Airlines. MDA will be getting 4 170's a month, (and with the two 170's sims in CLT, they are expecting to get 80 A/C).
You new hires may well have found yourself at the right place and time. The flow thru is about to go into full effect (5 July is first class with W/O's at MDA).
I am not saying all is good, but now it looks like things are gonna move forward. Good Luck to you!!!

For the record...

No, it's not possible to graduate from UND's 141/D program with 6 hours of multi. The TCO requires 21 hours, IIRC.

Also, PDT requires 3000 total for PIC upgrade.

Hey Booker, how are you doing? I haven't heard from you since the end of January. I look for you all the time whenever I fly through one of PDT's hot spots. PM me if you get time. Take care.

tk

Hmmmmmmm..........more "quality" pilots off to the regionals.

blah blah blah

One would be remiss to judge the quality of a pilot by the number of hours in his/her logbook.

If PDT is hurting so bad for pilots, and the higher time CFIs & freight dogs want no part of it, then its a wonderful opportunity for lower-time pilots to get some excellent experience and in the off chance US/PDT survives, they would be in pretty decent shape, IMO. The low-timers have to pass the same indoc, systems, and sim training as the 2500+ hour freight pilots. If their lack of experience causes them to flunk training, it will hit PDT hardest in the pocketbook and they will end that practice. If they excel in the training and are found to actually be competent FOs (probably impossible in the eyes of some people on here), PDT will continue to hire 500 hour pilots. How many regional CAs these days owe their career and seniority to being hired at 500 (or less) hours?

The low-time pilots recently hired won't have the time to upgrade for 3-4 years, even if PDT is around that long. Why is this a problem?

Low time guys

As a UND boy myself I can see how some of us have attitudes. You spend a zillion dollars there and for four years (or five or six years, dont judge me people) they tell you that you are the best product there is. They talk about quality and not quantity, etc.. Unfortunately it was just alot of posterierly injected sunshine.

Some of us realized that we needed the school of hard knocks to get experience TO COMPLETE our training and didnt get the attitude BUT some of our classmates had never in their life learned that so they got the attitude.

As a rule of thumb only I am convinced that the amount of "UND" attitude one has is INVERSELY proportional to one's student loan amount.

I am going back to my rocking chair now to remember the good ole days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back