• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pdt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just for the sake of round-ish numbers: AWAC/Mesa/RAH/PSA schedules are for 3100 hours per month (12,400 total). Those 3 contracts (not PSA) have a minimum of 3000 block hours each, but Airways wants to cut the hours to 2900 hours each (11,600 hrs total) . Won't they still have to pay those 3 contract carriers for 3000 hrs (paying out for 11,900 hrs)? OR they could cut the 3 contract carriers to 3000 hours and PSA would take the bigger hit to 2600 hrs to make up the differnece (back to the desired 11,600). Because it is not under contract -- it's a w/o -- Airways has more direct control over how much and how little PSA flies. They would under-utilize PSA planes (like they have done recently) before they pay a contract carrier for the hours not flown (scheduling less than the contract min).

Clear as mud? My brain is hurting just trying to reread it. :beer:

Wow. Yeah... My pain drug addled brain can't really take in all those numbers. But I don't think I have to- It is simpler than that.

At least as far as Air Willy goes (and probably some of the others) US Airways pays them per departure and gives them money for gas. You chop flights you don't pay as much (down to a minimum contractual level). Nor do you buy as much gas.

As far as PDT and PSA goes, you can gain some of the same economies by cutting flights there as well. But you don't cut them as much, because you can easily redeploy those assets and make some money with them... All without paying a set fee for departure.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the block times in the spring. My assumption is that Tempe will be very slow to give back much of anything to Air Willy. Piedmont will probably get most of our block back. Same with REP as they have the E170 "mainline size, regional pay" jet. Not sure about PSA. I am sure the 70 seaters will be busy.

Wow. Yeah... My pain drug addled brain can't really take in all those numbers. But I don't think I have to- It is simpler than that.

At least as far as Air Willy goes (and probably some of the others) US Airways pays them per departure and gives them money for gas. You chop flights you don't pay as much (down to a minimum contractual level). Nor do you buy as much gas.

As far as PDT and PSA goes, you can gain some of the same economies by cutting flights there as well. But you don't cut them as much, because you can easily redeploy those assets and make some money with them... All without paying a set fee for departure.

It's all about the contract minimums, even with FFD structure. Airways is cutting capacity like a turkey at Thanksgiving (yea, I just thought that one up :cool:). The W/O's do not have a minimum. However, if Airways cut 100% of AWAC's flying, Airways would still have to pay the contract min. If Airways cuts 100% of PSA's flying, they just have to deal with the equipment leases. Timmy H at Midwest proved that tactic with the late, great Skyway.

If they were looking at growing and opening new markets, then using the W/O could help because of that direct operational control and "agility."

Who the heck knows how this will all wash out? They hire until they furlough, and furlough until they hire. I imagine companies will be slow to spool-up after all this. Until, that is, they realize they are woefully understaffed, have not real reserve, and half of their crews are going to time out. Then they will be back to 250TT and a wet ticket. It's a vicious cycle.

It's all about the contract minimums, even with FFD structure. Airways is cutting capacity like a turkey at Thanksgiving (yea, I just thought that one up :cool:). The W/O's do not have a minimum. However, if Airways cut 100% of AWAC's flying, Airways would still have to pay the contract min. If Airways cuts 100% of PSA's flying, they just have to deal with the equipment leases. Timmy H at Midwest proved that tactic with the late, great Skyway.

We are kinda saying the same thing- just different conclusions from the same data. All of AWAC's expenses are built into the FFD scheme. Therefore, you can look at it as a "cost plus" arrangement. With a wholly owned, it is just cost. In this sort of economy, WO makes more sense to a certain extent.

So, why have contract carriers at all? One reason you said yourself: Agility. The ability to add a lot of airplanes to the fleet with minimum capital outlay. The ability to subtract that fleet at will, unless of course you are dumb enough to sign multi-year agreements (thanks to Siegel wasn't it?). Of course, there is the ancillary benefit of bending mainline scope and depressing wages at the trunk carriers.

In this economy you trim down what you don't need and the fly the heck out of the stuff that is paid for. WO's do that for you. Heck, who lost the most flying during the past few months and who lost it first? AWAC did, hands down. My guess is PDT block will be back up by early spring. It is already up for January.

Cancellation pay. It would be nice if we had it but its not that much of a factor. Our year end bonus probably covers it. Hows that non-profit regional jet carrier doing? Play nice before we stop loaning you money.

How is your min day pay going over at republic or your trip rig or duty rig? Or your FIVE day trips? Come on chief you guys are a joke flying that large RJ for low wages all the while keeping your noses in the air to other commuter airlines. You are a commuter airline and you fly and RJ, it's ok we have all been there.

PSA announced voluntary leaves of absence for January. No specifics on how many from each seat but the deadline for submission in on the 15th.

You are right... Mainline can be a better place than regionals like PDT or RP. But some of us don't have to worry about the size of our pay check and the size of the equipment we fly. That doesn't make my D*CK any bigger. If you all think it makes yours bigger than good for you.
I am a former PDT driver, but I can and have let go. PDT was a bad company. QOL sucked, and company doesn't care about you at all.
Another nice thing is we don't have to listen to all the crap from PAX about the crappy equip.
So I will continue to fly the so called mainline jet, and be a lot happier. FWIW, I am one who knows I work and fly a regional jet, and I know my ******************** stinks just as bad as the next guys.

With gas coming down to 40 dollars, I would not be surprised if the block hours at my company (AWAC) came up. The 50 seater is not nearly as uneconomical at 40 dollars a barrel as it was at 140 dollars a barrel. The dash (-100), despite its smaller passenger cabin obviously was a much better choice in the high fuel enviornment, but with smaller cost difference now due to the low fuel price, the 50 seater potentially has higher profit capability due to its higher passenger capacity. Who knows though, I really respect the PDT dudes, they are one of the carriers that knows pain like awac does, and one of the few that, for the aircraft they fly, has a pretty decent contract. See ya dudes around the F concourse.

Come on Rob... You used to be a Piedmonster. I am disappointed in you. I thought we taught you better than that.

Made captain on that big 'ole jet yet?

Your right. My bad. I ended up getting downgraded back to F.O. on the heavy, lol. Besides its not the size of the plane, its how you fly it. Once a Piedmonster always a Piedmonster.

When did Republic loan PDT money? It appears PDT is the only part of USAirways actually making money. Hell it aint all that hard when the aircraft are paid for and only burn 200 gallons a leg.

Show me the money. You work under a budget. The money you save from the amount given to you from your operation goes back to mainline. Then Mainline gives you another allowance. Then money you save or what you call make is not reinvested in you or your company, it goes back to mainline. The money that AWA, RAH, etc etc is money your parent company needs for its operation which in part helps keep you in operation.

Latest resources

Back