• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PDT Contract Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like the union is going to take the company to the mat on this one, as well they should!

July 10, 2007

Dear Piedmont Pilots:

It has come to my attention that non-seniority pilots have been asked and have flown non-revenue flights for Piedmont on at least two occasions. These “contract” pilots are undermining our collective bargaining strength and are a potential safety risk.

They are weakening our strength because:
· we have no knowledge of how much they are being paid; and
· this flying should be designated as junior man or premium pay trips¾the two places Scheduling would ordinarily look to find coverage.

They are a safety risk because:
· these pilots are likely out-of-date on Dash-8 training;
· since they are not Piedmont employees, there’s little or no incentive to follow our standard operating procedures; and
· many gaping questions remain about who is in charge of the aircraft (especially when they are paired with a captain).

I find this a deplorable, despicable act that management is trying to hide from the pilot group. Management has failed to maintain proper staffing for this airline, and now is punishing this pilot group for their shortcomings by outsourcing our flying to pilots not protected by our collective bargaining agreement. This act is also taking money from our pockets in the form of what would certainly be junior man or premium pay trips. The outsourcing of flying by way of “contract” pilots is straight out of the play book of Eastern Airlines and Frank Lorenzo, and is nothing short of union busting.

We encourage all pilots to notify your ALPA rep immediately before starting a trip where management says you will be flying with a “contract” pilot. This is something we should not have to deal with, and your union reps are prepared to stand by your side. This management team has consistently abused the rights of its pilots and this is yet another example of their lack of respect for this pilot group, lack of respect for the collective bargaining agreement, and lack of competence to properly run an airline.

Please help us put a stop to these union-busting tactics by contacting your rep before flying with a non-qualified, non-seniority pilot.

Fraternally yours,

Communications Chairman PDT

DISCLAIMER: by no means do i support this...

but i was wondering if there is anything in the contract to prevent it? If they are part 91 flights like every other GA flight department, it seems to me that they should be able to hire whatever pilot they want. Obviously that is what they think. Opinions?

"all present and future flying will be performed by pilot currently on the seniority list" 1-B-1 look it up, another slap in the face, but it would seem to me like a really good time to piss us off...

DISCLAIMER: by no means do i support this...

but i was wondering if there is anything in the contract to prevent it? If they are part 91 flights like every other GA flight department, it seems to me that they should be able to hire whatever pilot they want. Obviously that is what they think. Opinions?

B. Scope
1. Except as provided in paragraphs 1.B.2. and 1.B.3. below, all present and future flying of any form performed in and for the service of the Company shall be performed by pilots on the Piedmont Airlines Pilots’ Seniority List in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Agreement. The phrase “present and future flying of any form performed in and for the service of the Company” includes without limitation all such flying (1) on the Company’s aircraft (whether leased or owned), or (2) under the Company’s operational control, including wet leases and contracting for other carriers or entities (government, military or commercial), but does not include dry leases to other carriers or entities.

2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1.B.1. above, the Company may assign or contract out revenue flying for a period not in excess of ninety (90) days during the term of this
Agreement if (a) such conduct is necessary to accomplish the needs of the service of the Company, and (b) the Company does have sufficient aircraft or pilots available to perform the revenue flying assigned or contracted out, and (c) no Company pilot is furloughed as a result of such contracting out of revenue flying.

3. Notwithstanding paragraph 1.B.1. above, the Company may enter into aircraft interchange agreements with other carriers if such interchange agreements do not result in the furlough of any of the Company's pilots

Doesn't look like they can contract for part 91.

That is crap...

And there is NO WAY I would fly with one of these guys. It is NOT safe to put a pilot who is not operating under your FOM/SOP's etc with a company crewmember.

Turbo

That is crap...

And there is NO WAY I would fly with one of these guys. It is NOT safe to put a pilot who is not operating under your FOM/SOP's etc with a company crewmember.

so you mean your company fired all Allegheny guys
and replaced them with contract pilot?

hahahahahha

sorry guys but these is too funny.

oh well call your AlPA rep maybe the merge you guys with PSA and close Piedmont.

so you mean your company fired all Allegheny guys
and replaced them with contract pilot?

What the fart are you talking about?

Go to bed junior, or I'll tell your mom you've been bad next time I see her.

Latest resources

Back