PDK and their F'd-Up Approaches!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PA31Ho said:
It probably isn't so bad if you are a flying a turbine in and out because you can keep up with the speed they need you to be at. But when going in there flying a Navajo or 421, forget about it... I've never had a decent setup going in PDK on IFR days.

It can be worse in the turbines, controller mistakes are often magnified by speed. I have found that comming in from the west, slowing down is the key, to be ready for the slam dunk.

I agree with the overhead for the left downwind Rwy 2R after shooting the VOR-27.

PDK's tower SOPs have the aircraft circle southeast. Anyone who knows the area knows the WSB has an extremely tall transmitter tower just SE of the airport, and there are numerous other towers to the south and southeast, TALL ONES. Plus, if I'm in the left seat, I have a much better vantage point for my turns and keeping the runway enviroment in site if I turn left.

I trained at PDK as well, have flown into/out of ATL, RYY, LZU and FTY and honestly on most days everything runs smoothly.

I think one thing a lot of people forget to do is obey the 200 kias rule while below the Atlanta class B. Not only does it help controllers sequence aircraft more efficiently, but it also allows us as pilots to respond to changes quickly, and serves to give us more time to think about things and get setup for our approach.

The high density of GA traffic in A80 tracon is another reason to slow it down. There is a huge mix of props and turbines. Remember there are a lot of training flights taking place in this airspace, and slowin her down increases our chances of seeing and avoiding traffic.

The problem with sequencing IFR arrivals during IMC is the restricted airspace between the airports. LZU is more of a problem with the ILS to rwy 25 because the a80 tracon/ztl artcc sector boundary is around 11-13 miles from the Rwy 25 Threshold. Therefore it is a tight turn on to the ILS and a short distance to the LOM.

Some controllers keep you closer to the extended centerline causing a really tight turn on, especially if you doing 210 kias or faster.

I think the combination of restricted space and too much speed leaves the controller with no option. He/she can only assume you will intercept and fly the approach.

So, lately when we're abeam the airport on downwind now, we deploy flaps 20 and fly Vref+30, which even at our highest landing weight will only be 160 kias.
It makes a world of difference.

I was also told by one of the LZU tower controllers that A80 generally has to point out and coordinate with ZTL in they need to run a final into LZU longer than 10 miles. He said on some days they coordinate it as a standing agreement between the sectors, and so the satelite controller doesn't have to intercom the center low sector. Center release a chunk of airspace 4000 and below in a sort of Rwy 25 extended centerline dumpbox.

So, yes they can dump us in. But don't forget they're extremely busy, even more so when the weather is down, so them and yourself a favor, slow the aircraft down and be patient.

captainv said:
i expressed my opinion from my narrow point of view, in this case a corporate jet. could such an approach be handled easily in, say, a piston twin or single? i'm sure it could. slower approach speeds give you lots more options.
Depends on the aircraft. A slam dunk approach will not work in a Mooney, unless you're willing to buy re-conditioned cylinders on a regular basis to keep some controller happy. Many models of clean aircraft, regardless of engine type can either "slow down" or "go down" ... just not at the same time.

I can't even lower the gear until the IAS reads under 133 kts. Informing approach control that I can not except a slam dunk has resulted in some unappreciated tours around terminal airspace.

Latest resources

Back