PDK and their F'd-Up Approaches!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PDK

Keep in mind PDK is a training tower for controllers, although hopefully not during low IMC.

and if you think PDK is bad, try LZU. we'd consistently get bad vectors to the loc, sometimes they try to get us to join inside the marker. not a big deal if you'd configured early, but in the Lear we'd typically slow down a few miles away from GWNET. got to the point where we'd request 10 mile finals, but get vectored directly to the marker.

silly me!

>All I can say is if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

God, you are SO right. the next time ATC rolls me on final with the glideslope full deflection down, i'll just nose the Lear over, pull the engines back to idle, and dive for the ground. i mean, shoot, i've got about 4 miles, right? that's plenty of time to come screaming down, get stable on the glidepath, spool up the engines again and lose all that extra airspeed so we can dump full flaps.

thanks for the tip, always good to hear the voice of experience from a piston driver.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** piston drivers. Always running their mouths off.

>**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** piston drivers. Always running their mouths off.

that was in reply to Atis Whiskey only. notice i said a [singuar]piston driver. personally, i'm not into making blanket cliched statements.

i expressed my opinion from my narrow point of view, in this case a corporate jet. could such an approach be handled easily in, say, a piston twin or single? i'm sure it could. slower approach speeds give you lots more options.

could such an approach be done safely in a jet? it could be done successfully to be sure, but most flight departments would argue against such an unstabilized approach. the standard profile calls for gear down, flaps 30 when established on the loc, a dot below glide. full flaps at intercept, ride it all the way down. in my mind, much better than the slam dunk. but that's me.

pdk

This is back to the basics,,,,,,,, it's time to crank and bank now i know every one remembers how to do that,,,,,Then chop and Drop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes that is good,,,,,,,,,, Then back on the power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nothing to it.

Just truning bound and you best be up on your game
, make it and you are the hero mis it and your a zero. Been there done that its fun.....................................:cool:

PDK Approaches

Ahh yes... DeKalb Peachtree Airport...

I've been flying out of PDK since I was 16 as a student pilot, now I am 20 and a Citation copilot, same darn thing... I've seen everything they can think of over there and have managed to live through it so far. It can get VERY busy, and especially interesting with low ceilings and a strong westerly wind and they are shooting the VOR27 circle to 2R. Used to have some f-ed up runway configurations before the FAA put a stop to it. I've never really had problems shooting the ILS 20L as long as you don't mind being vectored directly over the top of the FAF with the speed juiced up.

CaptainV is right, PDK IS a training tower- but they have hardly anything to do with the way the ATL tracon vectors traffic in the area. Hartsfield runs the show, and the satellite airports just have to deal with it. At rush hour the ATL tracon routinely ground stops PDK because of airspace saturation ... general aviation is the thorn in Atlanta's airspace image...

The problem with LZU used to be that ATL approach radar/radio coverage was very poor in that area, and so approach had to keep you high and tight to be sure they could keep in contact with you. A new ASR-9 radar and a new approach control frequency have fixed those problems. Haven't been slammed into LZU for a few months now... hopefully that has been fixed. However, I do know that once again the brilliant ATL tracon has decided to change up the traffic flow in and out of PDK, we've been getting some f-ed up departure vectors lately (remain at 4000 and vectored to hell and back- 210 speed or less?!?)

But what the (!#@ flying into airports like PDK are so rewarding! If you can handle PDK like a professional, the passengers never know the difference. But it serves for a little extra smile on your face when you know you could handle it like a professional- thats what we are paid to do. In one simple comparison, PDK is like flying into the O'Hare of general aviation!

Welcome to the A80 tracon. Atlanta satelite airport approaches suck. Trying getting the Kai Tak turn on to the ILS 25 at LZU, freaking 'you're 3 miles from the marker, turn right heading 230, maintain 4000 until established, blah blah blah.'

Usually we watch the GS slide under us and we can't go below 3000 until on the LOC, usually join the LOC at GWNET, the LOM, and have to dive bomb down to GS.

Man,

Who did you guys piss off? I never get treated like that going into or out of any of the satellites in ATL (I am based at one). I have had to make suggestions to controllers before, but find that 99.9% of the time they do a great job.

As for PDK being a training tower, EVERY tower in the FAA system is a training tower, either that or some guys in the ATL tower were having some fun with me.

Latest resources

Back