Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
At some point, I am going to take the next step, and get a PDA. Three years ago, I was told to consider the Ipac (sp). Since then, so many brands of PDA have flooded the market. Some have integrated cell phones, or cameras.

Which have you found to be the best PDA, with the widest range of PC (including win 98SE) compatible software, with and without the phone? I don't need an integrated camera.

Price range would be $200 to $500. I'm looking for your personal experiences, not the CNET website, or similar info.

Timebuilder-

I have used the iPaq PPC (Pocket PC) for several years. I upgraded through 3 models and love every one of them. These days there are several models of iPaq, but I stick to the ones that allow sleves. That's the 3000 series and the 5000 series.

I also like them because there is allot of aviation software that can be used on them. I have my eye on a program called Anywhere Map. This is a GPS driven moving map. There is also an option that will overlay your position on a approach plate if you want.

The main factor in choosing a PDA, aviation use or not, is what you will do with it. If you just need scheduling, notes, and phone numbers, I'd go with a Palm device. If you need that plus minor Word Processing, web surfing, wireless access, mp3 playing, movie watching, etc.... I'd go with a Pocket PC device.

My iPaq can replace my laptop on a trip at any point in time. It's also lighter when listening to mp3's in the gym. ;)

Hope this helps.

I would recommend against getting an all in one unit. Because if either the phone craps out or the palm you have to replace the whole thing. I have just the basic Palm IIIc and it works great for everyday use. But it all depends on what you are going to use it for.

I normally get two years out of a phone. I hadn't expected the thing breaking would be a big factor.

I don't know anyone who has the combo unit. Have you heard that they have been less than reliable?

I 've had the Kyocera 7135 for a year and it rocks. It's a phone/pda Just a little bigger than the average flip phone. Cool though has everything pda, voice activation, mp3 player, picture viewer with zoom, touch screen dialing, pager , voice memo recorder, cool text messaging and on and on.........

There's also a new samsung just like it but a little smaller.

I know verizon alltell and one other provider support the 7135

I believe it's worth the money around 500 now When I got it was 800.

you're never have to worry about leaving one of your pager, phone pda or laptop somewhere again.

I have a Sony-Ericsson P900. Phone & PDA. It is the bomb. Great phone, great PDA, Camera, HTML & WAP internet, the list goes on...

Well designed and works like champ !

TB - Check out the Garmin Ique 3600. It's not a phone, but a PDA, MP3, Voice Recorder, and oh yeah, a GPS. I have one and it's the best thing since sliced bread. It uses Palm OS 5 and you'll never get lost driving again.
:D

consumer reports

Consumer Report's latest recommendations.

Palm-OS Models:

Sony CLIE PEG-SJ20
Palm Tungsten C
Palm Zire 71
Palm Zire
Palm Tungsten T
Palm m515

Pocket PC Models:

Dell AXIM X5 -400MHz

Grove

Latest resources

Back