• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PCL New Chief Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys, thanks... not sure why I did it yet, must have been that kool aid uncle phil slipped me:eek:

Anyway, if my tenure is short it will be because I plan keeping the same work as I did in ALPA. I will NOT forget where I came from!

The mgmt wants me to do the job that I have been doing, that should tell you how disconnected they are.

The scary part... it is not official yet (sometime in june), and this is the quietest my phone has been in better than 2 years in the C3. I don't get why people are scared and why people think I went to the dark side. :confused:

Your shpeel sounds like every other pilot that has taken a Chief Pilot job. You are either very naieve or blowing smoke! They own you and you will not be doing the same job that you are doing. If they hired you, you may have done too good a job--they simply want to remove you from the process.

If people are scared, they have good reason. People think you have gone to the dark side--because you have gone to the dark side! You have sold your soul, pal, just hope they are paying you well to do it and that you can sleep at night.

Your fellow pilots will be nice to you because now they have to be nice. However, they will talk about you like you are a dog soon. Just curious, what was your motivation?

How evident that you don't know this person. And his motivation is the same motivation that caused him to dedicate most of his free time as a C3 rep. Or do you think that everybody was kind to him on that position? pilots will B!cth one way or the other but with the leadership comming from ALPA the only thing that we can be thankfull of is the individuals not making half a million a year but rather the ones doing it for free so that others can ask about their motivation.
And since you don't work at PCL, his motivation is none of your business

Your shpeel sounds like every other pilot that has taken a Chief Pilot job. You are either very naieve or blowing smoke! They own you and you will not be doing the same job that you are doing. If they hired you, you may have done too good a job--they simply want to remove you from the process.

If people are scared, they have good reason. People think you have gone to the dark side--because you have gone to the dark side! You have sold your soul, pal, just hope they are paying you well to do it and that you can sleep at night.

Your fellow pilots will be nice to you because now they have to be nice. However, they will talk about you like you are a dog soon. Just curious, what was your motivation?

Don helped tons of people in C3 and gave up his free time for his pilot group.

How evident that you don't know this person. And his motivation is the same motivation that caused him to dedicate most of his free time as a C3 rep. Or do you think that everybody was kind to him on that position? pilots will B!cth one way or the other but with the leadership comming from ALPA the only thing that we can be thankfull of is the individuals not making half a million a year but rather the ones doing it for free so that others can ask about their motivation.
And since you don't work at PCL, his motivation is none of your business

First, you are on a public board. Don't post it if you don't want a response. Don is apparently known as a great guy. However, he is not the first great guy to take a Chief Pilot job, and certainly not the first ALPA volunteer. The "Dark Side" usually picks the ALPA guys that are doing a great job--so that they can no longer work against them. He may have good intentions, however his job description just changed and he is no longer working for you--the pilots. He now works soley for your employer and at their leisure and discretion. You just lost a good ALPA volunteer.

Whether I work for PCL or not, does not impede me from asking the question. In fact, maybe you and the other PCL pilots should ask him directly since he served as YOUR ALPA volunteer and certainly has proprietary information and knowledge that he would not otherwise have had. His position as the volunteer certainly enhanced his opportunity.

Since he reads and posts on this public board, as an ALPA member, I would like to pose the question, "What is your motivation for taking the job?"

Conspiracy from the left says:

To throw a few wrenches in the works for mgmt while he awaits his job at B6/DL/WN.

Seriously, guys. He's a short timer who did you a favor by preventing some of the other truly awful choices.

Maybe they can wean Randy N. from his meds enough to come back and take it! Ask some of the old timers what things were like when Terry H. was the DO. You don't know what the dark side is!

First, you are on a public board. Don't post it if you don't want a response. Don is apparently known as a great guy. However, he is not the first great guy to take a Chief Pilot job, and certainly not the first ALPA volunteer. The "Dark Side" usually picks the ALPA guys that are doing a great job--so that they can no longer work against them. He may have good intentions, however his job description just changed and he is no longer working for you--the pilots. He now works soley for your employer and at their leisure and discretion. You just lost a good ALPA volunteer.

Whether I work for PCL or not, does not impede me from asking the question. In fact, maybe you and the other PCL pilots should ask him directly since he served as YOUR ALPA volunteer and certainly has proprietary information and knowledge that he would not otherwise have had. His position as the volunteer certainly enhanced his opportunity.

Since he reads and posts on this public board, as an ALPA member, I would like to pose the question, "What is your motivation for taking the job?"

Speedtripe,

It is better to have ALPA people in the Chief Pilots offices than the DR types. Many ALPA people wouldn't have to go over to the "dark side" if they weren't forced out of the ALPA side, or if they hadn't become disenfranchised by the ALPA side....

If you have such a problem with ALPA people taking management positions, you might want to ask yourself what that says about ALPA leadership? Here at ASA and other carriers, many members of management come from ALPA.... Why is that Speedtripe.....

The much esteemed (snicker) Terry M. who vacated the post actually sued ALPA over _not_ having to pay dues checkoff when he was a line pilot since he:

1. was never a member of ALPA
2. was a line pilot prior to ALPA certification
3. TN is a right to work state

That's what LOA 99-07 is all about (read it kids!) and that's the kind of me first! self-interest individual you had in that office. It gave Jon Young such wood to see one of the most senior pilots in the company turn on the union and pilot group over 1.7% it was no surprise he was chosen as CP. Now you have the former greivance chair from the largest domicile.

Sounds like a step up to me.

Last edited:
Speedtripe,

It is better to have ALPA people in the Chief Pilots offices than the DR types. Many ALPA people wouldn't have to go over to the "dark side" if they weren't forced out of the ALPA side, or if they hadn't become disenfranchised by the ALPA side....

If you have such a problem with ALPA people taking management positions, you might want to ask yourself what that says about ALPA leadership? Here at ASA and other carriers, many members of management come from ALPA.... Why is that Speedtripe.....

QUITTER, what does quitting say for your leadership? Maybe if you had attended more than one meeting in 3 years and fullfilled your duties of the elected position for which you ran and were elected, you would have been offered a Chief Pilot position--but then probably not, being the self-proclaimed rebel that you claim to be.

"you might want to ask yourself what that says about ALPA leadership?"

The better question, JB, is what does that say about the individual?

"Here at ASA and other carriers, many members of management come from ALPA.... Why is that Speedtripe.....[/quote]"

Can you name them one one hand? What was their motivation? How many lasted and for how long? Did they QUIT like you? How many are left?

Motivation for taking the job.... Hmm it is was not for the love of MEM:eek:

It was not for the love of those offices in the dungeon :crying:

It was on a whim, not too many others stepped up to make a difference. Many can b!tch, but few actually take action, I took action.

On the ALPA side I hit the ceiling, no more room to grow. So.. since I am doing the same job, with the same hours, with the same perks what is the REAL difference from one side of the desk to the other?

I told them I was a C3 guy many times, I still tell them that daily. I work with some of the best ALPA C3 people and with some great pilots. My goals are simple, hard to understand, but for the guy busting his hump on the Pinnacle exercise program chanting "I'm simply the best"

Latest resources

Back