PCL ALPA Factual Statement 13Jun05

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
redflyer65,

I think we have all pointed the finger at our dispatchers for not knowing what they are doing but we sure hate to have the finger pointed at us. We are responsible for knowing the limitations of our aircraft. Dispatchers are not expected to know all of the numbers of our aircraft and they may handle more than one fleet type on any given day with some companies. They have computer programs that they enter the "numbers" into and the releases are generated. Problems arise when they don't catch a release with a problem in it and then the second line of defense, the pilots, don't catch the problem before we find ourselves having to deal with it.

"NEWBIES" and the more experienced can sometimes create problems whether in the dispatch office or in the cockpit when they don't know any better. Go figure.

Last edited:
fly4ever said:
We are responsible for knowing the limitations of our aircraft.

I only wish this attitude was shared by more pilots. The attitude seems to be prevalant that the company is responsible for this.

Guys, I agree 100% with what you are saying. The pilots, me included, should know what the capabilities of the aircraft are. The only reason I added the dispatch thing at all is because the next response I would have gotten would be "what were you doing there anyway!" I was trying to head that one off at the pass.

The reason for my post is to show how easy it can be to get yourself into a similiar situation, and to help others realize at what point this plane will shake. It completely suprised me, and I would think it would suprise most because we were never taught.

SlapShot said:
Regarding “THE DAY ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE”, are you kidding me? That movie is such a joke. It should have been called THE DAY A COUPLE OF AIRPLANES WENT AROUND IN DEN.

Sweet! I thought no-one was going to catch on.

'...... forever remembered as the Day All Hell Broke Loose!'

My favorite is 'The Silver Fox has it wired.'

redflyer65,

I don't want you to think I was responding negatively toward your post. I was just trying to emphasize our responsibility. When it comes down to it, the pilots are the only ones that truly draw the line on safety of flight. That is why all the parties involved in the investigation have no problem with placing the blame on the flight crew. After hearing and reading more of the sad details of this event it is even more apparent that the crew did not respect the aircraft nor the conditions that existed at the time. I'm sure that lack of adequate training was a contributing factor but the cause the NTSB most likely will publish will be the crew's disregard for the safe operation of the aircraft etc.... It is a sad story that, unfortunately, will be repeated by someone else because we sometimes can't resist the temptation to "have a little fun".

There was a saying that I can only paraphrase but it was something like,

A superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid having to show off his superior skills. (or maybe lack thereof)

I just hope we can all learn the lesson from this very tragic event.

Respectfully,

Fly

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back