• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PC 12 lands on street !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1) What if this had been a King Air 200?

2) What if it had been 100 & 1/2?
answer 1, they have the extra motor
answer 2, :confused:

but i just looked at the pics and didnt see why the motor stoped

Kingairrick said:
"Bolin, the manager at a Marathon station, was outside lowering the price of gas on a sign from $1.69 to $1.68 a gallon when he saw the plane coming toward him."

I hate it when I get pressure form the boss to save on fuel. It can cause bad decision making.

HAHAHA....gotta save when you can

Did you notice where "Bea" said she "saw the plane sputtering in the air" "I saw fuel pouring from it".....
I sure hope this isn't a case of 'didn't secure the fuel cap (s)'.
Good save anyway.

OrphicSeth said:
This is actually interesting, do you mind listing some examples? This is the second time in as many days as I have heard/read something to this effect, but never any details. I'd love to know the circumstances/reasons, if you don't mind.
A few I can come up with quick without digging through the log book.

Lets start with piston failures first.

1. Hairline crack in case, missed by maint in the 100 hour, number 3 jug seperated from the case in flight, resulting fire was extinguised when I shut off the fuel. Part 135 freight. BE-58 O-540 Continental (If memory serves)
2. Dropped cylinder on Continental o-470? Hard to remember, whatever the 260 hp continental is in the B-55's 135 freight
3. Bad rebuild, crankshaft failure O 540 Yep- another 135 freighter baron.
4. a few others for silly stuff, broken throttle, mixture, or prop cables etc. (Isn't freight fun!!)

Part 2 Turbine.

1. Pratt and Whitney Jt8d-15a, 737-200, bleed valve failure which led to an overheat, and resulting shutdown.
2. Pratt and Whitney PW 530A, C-550 Bravo. Starter generator came apart. Resulted in the shutdown to keep the left engine from shaking its self off the pylon. (OK....technically the engine didn't fail, but the result is the same, unable to keep it running due to damage on a component.)
3. PW-119B High pressure fuel pump failure and flame out in climb. (The HP pump is the only fuel component with no back up, it goes and you lose the engine.) This one was not me, I had just turned the airplane over to the poor sap it happened to. He got me back a few months later and gave me one with an ECU that lasted all of 15 minutes of the first leg!!

4. various bleed leaks, PCU, ECU, and accessory gearbox problems that did not require shutdown but would have been much more serious with only one engine.

Others that happened to close friends or family.

1. JT8d- whatever- DC-9-30- rear turbine bearing failure. (Number 3 bearing I think)
2. Allison engine- Convair 580, uncontained failure. (Described as "HOLY SHAT LOOK AT THAT BIG AZZ FIRE ON NUMBER 2" by his eagle eyed and vigilant f/o who investigated the source of a "Loud Report" from the right side of the aircraft.
3. 757-200- p3 bleed line failure, engine went to idle at FL 350.
4. Estimated to be a 15 to 20 pound goose ingested at 50 feet on take off, flame out and one heck of a feathery mess for maintenance. DC-9-30 PW JT8D (mmmmmmmm----goose niblits!!!)

I know, none of these are PT6's, but the point is that even with turbine, if you fly them long enough something is going to quit. And considering my luck it would wait for a 200 1/2 day to do it. Two PC-12's were lost due to engine failure during the time I flew them. One was in the Med Sea, and the other was in the US that resulted in a long landing and the destruction of the plane but no loss of life. The one in the US was an uncontained total failure on climb out, Had it been in IFR the results would have been different. I do not remember the reason for the failure but I am sure you can find it on the NTSB site.

On the other hand, that thing would land on a postage stamp, and haul a full grown moose out of the wilderness if you wanted it to!! I had fun flying it. Just didn't care for the real low IFR in it. 200 and 1/2 on a regular basis needs two turning.

Last edited:
It said he was at 7000' about 7 miles away from the airport. I once talked to a medevac pilot who bragged about the clean airframe and engine out gliding performance of his PC-12. I wonder how far off they were from being able to glide in, or what the situation was. Has anybody else heard the rule of thumb of 1000'/NM for estimating gliding distance?

coolyokeluke said:
It said he was at 7000' about 7 miles away from the airport. I once talked to a medevac pilot who bragged about the clean airframe and engine out gliding performance of his PC-12. I wonder how far off they were from being able to glide in, or what the situation was. Has anybody else heard the rule of thumb of 1000'/NM for estimating gliding distance?
I looked it up, book says that it should have been good for 19 miles from 7000 feet at +10 C, zero wind. Dunno what the elevation is where they were though. 5000 feet at 10c should have been good for about 15 miles. Cut another 15 to 30% off of that for the oh shat factor and airspeed deviations from testpilot book numbers.

I think the PC-12 is a pretty cool plane but c'mon.

From the Pilatus website: http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/2_ga_commercial/ga_commercial.htm

"I feel a lot safer in a PC-12 than in a twin"

With more than 7000 hours logged, including
over 4000 in piston and turboprop twins, he
didn’t quit flying twins for lack of experience.
And with a twin available as the other half of
the fleet, he didn’t quit for lack of access. Matt
quit flying twins, he says, because “I just didn’t
want to lose an engine someday and then try to
keep it flying. In my opinion, the PC-12 is a lot
safer than a multiengine airplane.”

Yeah, I would hate to lose an engine in a BE350 on takeoff and realize I could keep flying for another... oh... 8 HOURS!

I wonder if he'll try to keep his PC-12 flying if he loses an engine? I mean what if he gets into some good mountain wave or thermals? It is built by the swiss and I've heard those guys make some sweet gliders.

It's the age-old safety argument- multiengines with their Vmc-induced accidents vs. single engine aircraft with no redundancy.

The PT-6 is an extremely reliable engine, but it's obviously not perfect. I wouldn't mind flying a PC-12, but I would handle flight planning differently than I would a King Air. These guys did a good job getting the plane down without hurting anyone!

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police recently switched from Twin Otters to PC-12s for their long supply and medivac flights over hundreds of miles of barren nothingness in Northern Canada. So far, no problems, but I'll be there are some eyes glued to the engine gauges!

Latest resources

Back