Pbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Noodles

No, not the tv station, the preferential bidding system. My company is looking at implementing it, and I would like to get some opinions.

Please post on here if you like it or don't like it, and why. Also, please include your relative seniority where you work (top 1/3, middle 1/3, or bottom 1/3).

Thanks.

No, not the tv station, the preferential bidding system. My company is looking at implementing it, and I would like to get some opinions.

Please post on here if you like it or don't like it, and why. Also, please include your relative seniority where you work (top 1/3, middle 1/3, or bottom 1/3).

Thanks.
I was in the top 10% when it was implemented at a former airline. Although it worked for me (being very senior) I wouldn't wish it on anyone and much preferred the guaranteed schedule offered by regular paper line bidding.

With paper bidding you have a known entity. i.e. if you bid 100 lines and all of them had Christmas off, you were assured Christmas off with paper bidding. Not so much with pref bid, as it is always somewhat of a gamble as to what you get through the weighting of certain preferences.

Much "soft" rime will be lost as the company will be able to schedule efficiently around known absences such as training, vacation or jury duty etc. In the end the pilot will most likely lose days off in the long run as the company can adjust line totals etc.

It is most likely a win for the company as it allows more efficiencies in scheduling employees. Conversely, those efficiencies will most likely come at the expense of "freebies" for the pilot group built in to the paper bidding model.

I was in the top 10% when it was implemented at a former airline. Although it worked for me (being very senior) I wouldn't wish it on anyone and much preferred the guaranteed schedule offered by regular paper line bidding.

With paper bidding you have a known entity. i.e. if you bid 100 lines and all of them had Christmas off, you were assured Christmas off with paper bidding. Not so much with pref bid, as it is always somewhat of a gamble as to what you get through the weighting of certain preferences.

Much "soft" rime will be lost as the company will be able to schedule efficiently around known absences such as training, vacation or jury duty etc. In the end the pilot will most likely lose days off in the long run as the company can adjust line totals etc.

It is most likely a win for the company as it allows more efficiencies in scheduling employees. Conversely, those efficiencies will most likely come at the expense of "freebies" for the pilot group built in to the paper bidding model.
Good summary. It's not so much the program but whether absences (Jury duty, training days. Etc) are loaded before or after they run the program. Before is bad. Also depends on agreements regarding min days of, regardless of loading absences before or after. It's a tool that can be misused by the company unless parameters are agreed to beforehand.

One week of vaca stretched into four if it carries over two months, without vaca low and 17 days off in oct with 96 hours and control of my Skd. I like it. We use prefbid.

Ps, ours only builds up around vaca if you tell it to. Otherwise you do a trip at each end of the month.

As others have stated, if they place all of the "conflicts" in before they run the bid, then it can be a crap shoot as far as what you end up with. Depending on the contract language, if you have a week of vaca and cannot slide it, they can build a trip that ends the day before your vacation and another one that begins when vacation ends. There's good things and bad about it, but if you're super junior or super senior it generally can benefit you; however if you find yourself in the middle third, each month can be like a scratch n sniff sticker...could smell like roses or could smell like a tird.

Pretty much spot on. I liked it while junior, didn't so much mid-pack, and now crossing 40% in my base I like it again.

The rest depends on the rules you negotiate concerning absences such as vacation, training, and others.

Pretty much spot on. I liked it while junior, didn't so much mid-pack, and now crossing 40% in my base I like it again.

The rest depends on the rules you negotiate concerning absences such as vacation, training, and others.

That is the key...it depends on the contract language implemented surrounding it.

best ways to get a schedule as a pilot...

1. Well implemented PBS system including proper software and proper contract language.

2. Paper Bidding.

3. Dart board at pairing sheet.

4. Chickens walking on pairing sheet and watching where they crap.

99. Your worst enemy picking your schedule for you.
100. Poorly implemented PBS system with cheapest software and no contractual protections.

One week of vaca stretched into four if it carries over two months, without vaca low and 17 days off in oct with 96 hours and control of my Skd. I like it. We use prefbid.

25 days off for one week of vacation for 88 trips. SWA. Please don't implement PBS here. About 60% in base

Latest resources

Back