• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PBS Frontline expose' on regional airline industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
16 hour duty days should be criminal ! Pilots should be limited to 9-10 hours duty and get paid every hour while on duty !! The last hours of a long duty day at night is a very dangourous situation regardless of flight hours or training ! When anyone is tired they just dont think as well or even react the way they normally would if they were well rested and alert !

ALPA created this situation. They fought against the B scale, yet in the end, what did they help create, a B scale. I don't even know if ALPA realizes what they have done. This used to be mainline flying on F100's, DC9's and like types. I have roots in the regionals and know that you earn your pay there. However, the pay and benefits has needed to be increased drastic amounts for years. This is where I fault ALPA.

Your right. It's just amazing that ALPA is ok with this and has been for decades. I still think they equate CRJ flying to flying a Metro.

16 hour duty days should be criminal ! Pilots should be limited to 9-10 hours duty and get paid every hour while on duty !! The last hours of a long duty day at night is a very dangourous situation regardless of flight hours or training ! When anyone is tired they just dont think as well or even react the way they normally would if they were well rested and alert !

This one always makes me shake my head in disgust:

121.465 (b)(1) and in probably every airline FOM out there:
"No certificate holder conducting domestic or flag operations may schedule a dispatcher for more than 10 consecutive hours of duty"

if you can't be part of the solution...be part of the problem...seems like it is a bit backwards...regionals pilots wanting to work for the mainline but then take jobs that undercut the mainline flying but then hope to work for the mainline....weird.

+1!!!!

Roger and I agree that there can only be one regulator. Right now there are many. Each flight department at each carrier and their respective POI regulate the safety of the system. That is too many. One operating certificate and only one. I'm sure Roger would agree!:rolleyes:

Roger and I agree that there can only be one regulator. Right now there are many. Each flight department at each carrier and their respective POI regulate the safety of the system. That is too many. One operating certificate and only one. I'm sure Roger would agree!:rolleyes:

I agree, but it will never happen. The politics behind all of it are too much.

Awfully nice of Prater to take part in a total hack job piece of reporting. Absolutely no mention in the piece about the vast differences between many of the regionals. We're all lumped into the same bottom feeding untrained mess.

While not perfect, I would put ASA's training department and safety programs up against that of any carrier out there.

But that's how reporting goes. Prater should be ashamed for sitting his JABA THE HUT fat butt in front of the camera for a program which was going to unfairly defame many dues paying pilots.

Bad ALPA boss!! Bad bad ALPA Boss!!

Awfully nice of Prater to take part in a total hack job piece of reporting. Absolutely no mention in the piece about the vast differences between many of the regionals. We're all lumped into the same bottom feeding untrained mess.

While not perfect, I would put ASA's training department and safety programs up against that of any carrier out there.

But that's how reporting goes. Prater should be ashamed for sitting his JABA THE HUT fat butt in front of the camera for a program which was going to unfairly defame many dues paying pilots.

Bad ALPA boss!! Bad bad ALPA Boss!!
Do you favor brand flying be done by the major airline pilots or not? If so, how should it be done? And will be there be some pain?

For example... Say UAL/CAL/DAL said we are going to do the 76+ seat flying... we'll take the e-190s and fly them at mainline...

So managment says 'We got regional airlines that will fly them for regional rates, so if you mainline guys want them... here are the rates"

So mainline pilots agree to fly the regional jets at regional rates...

good, bad, ugly?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back