• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Hey guys and gals..

Somebody just asked a good question that hasnt been asked for awhile..

What are the cost of uniforms,union dues ,bomber jackets,bla bla bla and how much comes out of each check..?

These are all per pay period..

Uniforms=$30.00

Bomber jacket=$50.00

Pilot Aid program=$9.00

Employee asst program=$1.00

The rest are elective deductions and may vary..

Union dues arnt taken out until after you are off probation..

Pre tax dollars for the year without much extra flying..32k..

I hope this helps you newbees and look forward to seeing many of you on the road..

Mike

pay

Wondering if you could expand on the

"Pre tax dollars for the year without much extra flying..32k.."

Thanks,
dab

Dave,

I wondered if 32K was right too! I made that for 9 months of the year and I flew no extra.

WORST CASE, reserve for a full year!

90 trips per month guarantee
35.40 per trip =3186/month
That is 38,232/year

Reserverves are flying HEAVY right now but to be safe figure you fly half the month so half the perdiem. 150hrs at 2.15hr=322.50/month and 3870/year

grand total=42102 1st year.

I know you want BWI so you will fly on reserve there. I don't know how long it will take you to get there. I sat reserve for only 2 months out of the last 12 both of which were in PHX.

I still don't pick up trips and line flying Averages 100 trips per month!

Mike? does this sound right to you?

Pilot Aid

Pilot aid is formally known as the PILOT MUTUAL AID PROGRAM. It is similar to short term disability in that it gives you your salary 1st year, up to $5000/mo thereafter in the event you go on medical leave. I believe it works for up to one year where company loss of license kicks in. It is also used for maternity leave and several other things. It is a great program so I would sign up!

I'm always curious as to why some guys include per diem as income. Don't you guys eat when you're on the road? Or do you just survive on peanuts and those little "snack packs"?

Heck, I got $800 in per diem last month, but a couple bar tabs in Ireland put a big dent in that. I sure wouldn't count on per deim to make a car payment or any other fixed expense. Of course I guess that's just me. Other people are probably better with money. Guess that's why I became a pilot rather than a CPA ? :)

Thats what my w-2 showed for the year of 2002..

I have sat reserve for the whole year and have commuted for all of that time..
I have not picked up any trips due to commuting
and i didnt start until Jan 31st and didnt get a full check for several weeks..

I dont know of any FOs hired in my class that made anywhere near 38k much less 42k..

Perhapes i should have stated that this is what i made for 2002..

Sorry if i got you excited..

Mike

I did not mean to offend!!!

Mike,

Please don't take offense to my above comments. I just wanted to make it clear that 32k for an entire year is less than normal. However, noting that you did not work a FULL YEAR changes the picture. Again accept my apologies!

TRI-STAR
I divided all the pay up and added per diem at the end just because some people do count it. I am glad you don't have to but some people live on a budget. I know for my first year, while perdiem is 51.60 per day, I had to force myself to live on 20. It all helped me get through that first year supporting a family.

Again Mike, accept my apology. You make great contributions to this board that I as well as everyone else looks forward to reading. I just wanted to ease a friend's pay cut anxiety.

Bryan

New Hire Domicle.....Calif

Hew I few questions for those in the know. I am flying for a regional and worried about quality of life issues and having a to commute from the east coast (South Carolina). Any help on these questions would be appreciated:

How much is it costing guys to stay in San Diego (I think that is the new hire domicle)?
How much are the local hotels in San Diego?

Also, what is the commute rule for Southwest?

How long will it take to bid Midway or BWI or MCO (how many classes would have to start?)

How much is the 2nd and 3rd year FO pay?

SWA basing

I am not yet on property, but I'll answer some of your questions, only because the information is previously posted ...

Here are the pilot bases in reverse senority order:

OAK 3 Feb 03 No classes behind them yet
PHX 15 Jul 02 Classes behind them 2.
HOU 15 Jul 02 Classes behind them 2.
BWI 15 Jul 02 Classes behind them 2.
MDW 27 Mar 02 Classes behind them 4.
MCO 28 Feb 02 Classes behind them 6.
DAL 9 Jun 01 Too many to take the time to figure it out.

Check this thread

SWA base senority

OAK is closer to San Fran than San Diego. Amd the area is very expensive - but people share hotels and there is even a RV parking lot area some people use.

The pay rates are also posted:

Pay rates

It sounds like you are new to the forum - try using the search button in the top right menu and just type in "SWA". You should find a ton of useful threads, and all of the basic information is covered.

Best of luck bud - what is your status? Are you a poolie? Have you applied? They are getting ready to close the application window so if you have the mins (73 type now required) apply today!!!

Latest resources

Back