Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kilroy

http://www.filecabi.net/v
Just curious how most of you guys( non military ) payed your 737 type. Are most people taking out loans, credit cards, grants. Any help would be great. I,m getting ready to go to HPA and was wondering if there is an easier way to pay.

I talked to an ASA pilot that got an education loan at Wells Fargo. No fee, deferred for 6 months and 10 year repay at 4.25%. Of couse, check with a tax man but the interest should be tax deductable. Cheers, Wil

kilroy, I have a CRAZY idea. Before this thread gets taken over by SWA to PFT or not to PFT why do you not go and try to get hired at a airline that has 73's and is hiring without that requirement. Maybe Airtran, instead of trying to find ways of paying for a type get hired and in 2-3 years go for the upgrade. That way you can look at the paper and say I was qualified and competent and I earned it. I am sure not everyone makes the buy your type program but I am sure when you hand over 6,7,8000 dollars they will get you thru.

Another idea I have for you to save money when Airtran hires you I own cpads in ATL and I will even let you stay in one for the going rate of course but look at all the money I have saved you in two little paragraphs.

Just kidding have fun and good luck hope the gamble pays off. You can still say in one of my cpads though.

Just a thought about easing the blow if you're going to pay for it yourself: if you list your occupation as "pilot" for tax purposes, isn't the entire cost of the training deductible....training, travel costs, hotel, food, manuals, etc. ? You'd be spending money to upgrade your professional qualifications.

Someone on here will know. Just a thought...

You are correct on tax deduction. Anything education related is tax deductable so in the end I get it back or atleast alot of it .good thought bafan guy. With regards to jetdawgs idea of Airtran I have applied there no response. I have over 7000 hrs accident free time 5000 in jets 4000 pic in jets, 2 type rating and nocall from the other carriers. The compitition ist getting tough.And lets look at the rest of the 121 companys running 737,s...they are all furloughing guys left and right. So who would you want to work forsome one who will pay for your type and lay you off in a year or investing some cash in a company with a no furlough policy.

I used the International Bank of Dad. Favorable interest rates. But in absense of that, seems like there are tons of credit card companies out there with low rates. Put it on the card, then pay it off asap so you don't get burried in interest.

Don't get put off by the guys that 'would never' pay for training. They're not a factor. If you want to work for SW, then go for it. Just like the lottery, you got to be in it to win it.

I do think its kind of funny some of the posts on here. The one guy was saying just get a job at another 73 operator, bla bla bla. Good advice, except hardly anyone is hiring and you'll waste several years trying to get into the left seat to get typed. If you think an airline is going to type an FO (even though it's the same ride) they don't.

MED,

EGAD, MAN !!! Where did you get that avatar ??? I hope that's not you in the picture.

RickKC-135 said:
Yea it's exactly like the lottery, $8,000 for a 25% chance.
Not bad odds at all when you consider the main price is a million dollar job.

When I joined the military I agreed to giving them 13 years of my life for a 2% chance at flying the F-16 :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back