• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay Scale

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Collage -- n. (from the french coller, to glue) An artistic composition of objects and materials pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.

You know I came to this site because I've heard that it was filled with great people. Don't prove them wrong just because of a spelling error. You should get the idea of what i'm asking. So why be a idiot? If you don't have anything to add then don't say anything. Check my spelling i'm not sure if I spelled everything right for you.

Don't sweat it. Work on your grammer/spelling as much as you want and realize there are a bunch of pilots who like to sit and punch keys at all hours of the night for their amusement.

As to your question I believe it will depend on what type of work you want to do. Working at a small independent shop which primarily maintains pistons we are talking average labor rates from $10-20/hour. per experience and local economy. Fortunately for you A&Ps are in demand, at least that's what they keep telling me. If you can work for an airline doing heavy maintenance I believe the pay is better. I would suggest doing what you like. If you like avionics find a good company and start working/learning. If you like sheetmetal same thing. There is probably a publication or website with some kind of average payscale. You could search the AMT magazines.

MTOP, that was pretty anal. With your infinite wisdom and all, I'm sure you've never spelt a word wrong in your life... right? :rolleyes:

Easy guys,
I think MTOP was pointing out the irony of the situation (ie a post about job opportunities after higher education). We can't be the only pilots that dabble with the esoteric art form called collage.:D
Most of us on the board can't speel worth a darn anyways.
Piloto...are you thinking about getting your A+P to supplement your flying?

I'm at a crossroads right now as to what path to take. I can keep going and get my IFR and so on and so forth right up to my CFII. I have always enjoyed working on cars and such and enjoy flying. So i was thinking of combining the two and getting my A&P.

Jason

Piloto:

I'm in just about the position you're wondering about... Low time pilot with a couple'a ratings, a 4 year degree from a good school, and an A&P.

I've always heard that A&Ps are in short supply, but right now I'm just not seeing it. When I graduated in December United would pay me $13.10 an hour third shift for at least two years, and Cessna was offering $13.80 an hour, also third shift, and a guaranty of 60 hours a week (a bonus if you ask me, but everyone else thought they had something better to do or something???). Local shops in my area are not looking for anybody (five relatively busy GA/Corp shops in town), but they pay in about the same range.

Does that mean that I think the A&P certificate in my pocket was a waste? Absolutely not! I've always been told that there are certain types of operators that like pilots with A&Ps (the type of operators I might one day enjoy flying for)--and I've got faith in that statement, it certaintly gives me an edge over pilots my age, I like fixing things too, and even now because of my A&P I was offered a job in the auto industry (vintage auto restoration--a hobby of mine)--even though I didn't take that job it is nice to know that possibility exists.

Honestly, I didn't get my A&P for career reasons, I got it because perhaps someday I'll be able to purchase a Citabria or the like, and having that ticket can certaintly keep the costs down.

If I were you, I would probably try to get the A&P first, because it could easily help you pay for those flight ratings once you start working--not to mention let you meet people who might let you fly their airplanes around a bit. Of course, you could always work part time as a CFI and part time as an A&P apprentice until you could get the liscense for yourself...

Not that I'ce given you much information there, because I'm still young as both a pilot and a mechanic, but that is what I know (aside from the superheterodyned frequencies used by the VOR system...)

Take care!

Dan

Thanks for the advice Dan. You pointed somethings out I didn't even think of yet. There's a few FBO's around and who knows I might be able to get on with them while I'm going to school. I just might be alittle older then you. 32 lol So I need to get my butt in gear. hehehe

Thanks
Jason

Latest resources

Back