• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay rates for Lear 35 F/O??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget to deduct approximately 30 percent from your daily rate in order for you to pay your taxes. This is becuase you are now self employeed, and the company you are contracting to is not taking any deductions at all.

A quick call to your tax guy will tell you what you need gross on a daily rate in order for you to "Net" the going rate.

That reminds me.

A call to that tax guy should include a frank discussion of what and how much you can track as expenses for your "business" as an "independept contractor" on the schedule C form. Last year, I made squat as an instructor, but a whole bunch of stuff was deductable, and my tax liability was almost nothing. It's one of the few benefits to receiving a 1099 at the end of the year.

With your time and experience you should at least ask for a retainer. An earlier post mentioned a 10 trip guarantee with an "above and beyond" clause thrown in for busy periods. This is a standard operating procedure for many 135/91 operators, including the one I contract with, which protects you from slow periods, and guarantees them that you will be available a minimum number of days per month. I have seen people on a strictly per-day basis fly their tails off the first half of the month only to take the rest of the month off because they have made their money for the month. A signed retainer agreement protects both parties and adds some stability to the relationship. $300/day for someone with your experience, depending on the region, is a very reasonable amount for a Lear FO. I fly contract on the side and love it so try to keep this relationship well-mannered and you could have a long-term gig. Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back