CRASHPAD (150.00)
CAR PMT (200.00)
INSURANCE (75.00)
GAS (75.00)
FOOD (300.00)
BEER (50.00)
MISC. (50.00)

NET INCOME (700.00)

*The monthly costs above are an estimate. Please take into consideration that individual costs may vary from above (allow additional costs for such things as children, mortgages, entertainment, student loans, and, GOD Forbid...SAVINGS).

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN,

As you can see, the life of a new RJ pilot isn't much of a life. Not only are they busting their A$$ every month, they are incuring DEBT!! Between the commuting, lay-overs, 14 hour workdays, and stress, its amazing that these people don't have a nervous breakdown. All this for what? They are not making an income, they are loosing money! Hell, the way I see it, these new pilots are PAYING FOR TRAINING.

I KNOW HIGHSCHOOL KIDS WORKING AT TACO BELL THAT MAKE MORE MONEY!!!

Why is this happening? Why are the pilots destroying the industry by not demanding a pay scale that is in line with their responsability, training and education. I mean, really, why is this happening! Why are we allowing it to happen!

All that training, education, ambition for what? Mounting Credit Card bills? What a waste.

P-F-T - sort of, but not really . . . .

You're not wrong at all, but what distinguishes P-F-T from your topic is that you are drawing a paycheck, albeit small. I assume you didn't front your airline money after it made you the classic "conditional" offer of employment. That is P-F-T.

Some might argue that you are paying your dues. Perhaps. But second-year pay gets closer to decent money, doesn't it? Isn't it a percentage of captain's per-hour? Doesn't it work out to something like a $7K raise over first-year? And you can join your union. You're off probation. And, all along, you're building LEGIT SIC multi turbojet time and gaining great experience.

Really, pilot pay should be commensurate with responsibility. After all, you're a crewmember on a multi-million dollar piece of equipment. You are vested with the awesome responsibility to ensure safety, of your passengers, other traffic, and the public at large. You're serving the same function as an FO on something like a 737 or 717 or whatever, but are being paid less. In addition, some of the flying is challanging, such as getting into small airports or uncontrolled fields without much ATC assistance. I think people miss the point on these issues when they consider regional pilot pay.

The responsibility issue is very much overlooked, I think, notwithstanding scope, flow-throughs and outsourcing.

What to do about it? I dunno. Better advocacy? As long as you have people willing to take the low pay I don't see much that can be done.

Last edited:
Re: P-F-T - sort of, but not really . . . .

bobbysamd said:
What to do about it? I dunno. Better advocacy? As long as you have people willing to take the low pay I don't see much that can be done.

Bobby,

EXACTLY! As long as these pilots (term used loosely) are accepting this pay, we will always be under-paid. Who really gives a Sh!T about what someone learned on a job, if that job was at the expense of the greater pilot population. As far as I'm concerned, any pilot who accepts a job flying a multi-million dollar aircraft for $1,400/month is in the same catagory as a SCAB. A selfish, self-centered SCAB!

So.......What can be done? Well, it's quite simple actually. DO NOT WORK FOR AIRLINES THAT DO NOT PAY YOU WHAT YOU ARE WORTH. If everybody refused to work for chump-change, the pay would go up. I mean, think about it, the labor cost of the flight crew is miniscule in comparison to the other costs these airlines are faced with. They rip off the flight crew, because the flight crew lets them! In fact, new F.O.s bring a can of Vasaline to the interview!! TAKE A STAND! You will be surprised at how easy it is to get better pay!!!

Really, pilot pay should be commensurate with responsibility.

If management could figure out a way to outsource your jobs to India, they would do it! Just ask any tech worker.

HA HA HA HA!!!

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** Skippy they would! But.....Have you seen the latest Department of Justice laws regarding alien pilots. NO FLY FOR YOU, MR ALIEN!

Thanks DOJ! You have helped eliminate some of the problem.

See Ya!

As far as I'm concerned, any pilot who accepts a job flying a multi-million dollar aircraft for $1,400/month is in the same catagory as a SCAB. A selfish, self-centered SCAB!
:eek:

Hmmmm....so that means that basically EVERY pilot who has done the civilian route to the majors with better pay is a scab?!? Please.

Yes, the starting pay at regionals is pathetic and needs to be rectified. But there is a BIG difference between taking a job which pays sh**ty and being a scab. Let's not exaggerate here to that extent.

And even if you want to think of all the "new hires" who accept a job with low pay as scabs, what do you think of the more experienced pilots who get paid more but are willing to accept the fact that their brethren make much less, and don't demand more on their behalf? Are they not to be held accountable? And lets face it, they are the ones with more power to actually change things, not the new hires with no clout neither with a union nor within a company.

So maybe you need to be less critical of new hires who accept a job for low wages and more critical of the whole airline industry and pilot group. Comair was a good attempt at raising the bar. And it took their WHOLE pilot group to get what little they did, not just new hires or wannabes.

Have you seen the latest Department of Justice laws regarding alien pilots. NO FLY FOR YOU, MR ALIEN!Thanks DOJ! You have helped eliminate some of the problem.

That is pathetically small-minded. Too bad you don't even understand the great principles of country, a nation which was founded by immigrants. Legal aliens, and those that want to come here legally, don't pose a problem. And contribute to the richness of our country. It is not even worth going on, as you obviously don't deserve the bandwith.

Last edited:
This is pure flamebait and all of you that responded bit. Registered March 1, 2002? Three posts total? Come on. I wonder who this poster really is... it takes a bold person to come on with such strong statements under a fake name (sarcasm intended).
Confucious say those who use alter ego and flame board lose posting privilleges. Respect the forum rules or you will not be welcome here, Maverick.
This topic is closed.
Ifly4food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back