Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skyline said:
Sticky,

No I never did that kind of work but I have a friend who works there. He tells similar stories. It sounds like a good job, no pax, no cargo, VFR only.

Skyline

Yeah..there are perks to the job. No pax, no cargo, no "super pilot" captain, VFR only, home everynight.

Down sides are no schedule. Maybe get 5 days off a month. VERY demanding flying. I'll spend 5 hours on flight lines that are .03 miles wide and with altitude limited to within 50 feet.

Survey Work

I worked aerial survey for about 5 years, in many types of airplanes. It was great work, except that the on the road time got really old. I also never had any hard days off, but I did have lots of soft days off, if you count sitting in a hotel room off. I am now flying on demand part 135 in a Baron with 1 hard day off per week, home almost every night and making 50k per year.

Everyone has a different job situation that will make them content, but you will not get your dream job or your dream salary if you do not ask for it.

Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way. It seems the only way to get a raise is to at least get a job offer. I was always amazed at how the answer changed from "we simply cannot afford a raise right now" to "how much would it take to make you stay" when I had an offer for a new job. Of course, some companies will call your bluff, so you have to be prepared to take the new job.

Loved the survey work - like flying a 5 hour ILS.

I'd expect between 36k-40k for flying a piston, cabin class, pressurized twin - you gotta eat.

NoPax said:
Loved the survey work - like flying a 5 hour ILS.

Isn't that the truth! Flew over the DC ADIZ today for 4.3 hours at FL190 in a C310. Ground speeds south bound were 205, and north was 141. Felt bad for the photographer though...so many drift changes.

Sticky said:
Ground speeds south bound were 205, and north was 141.

When I was survey flying, we had to fly our lines +/- 10m laterally, +/- 50ft vertically and +/- 10kts GS. All while not banking over 3 degrees (while we were on the line). We had target altitudes for the lines, and groundspeed for the shutterspeed of the camera that was set prior to takeoff.

I got to do Monterey CA and the San Francisco Bay area, all from about 3500ft - think it was a FEMA contract.

With winds like that we probably would have had to do them one-way or cancel the mission.

Hey, thanks for your help ya'll!!! Maybe I'll be lucky and get over 30K out of him. -and demand a few hard days off a month - Now I know not to take a penny less.

I get 250 per charter, and some commission on whatever fat I can add to the bill. Baron 58, single pilot mostly. Sometimes I have an SIC who gets 125. I also instruct full time though. We have one plane and I do all the marketing, advertisement, etc.

Sticky,
We've been shooting the entire ADIZ the past week and I had those same groundspeeds.... pretty sweet going one way....not the other. I was at 13.5. If it wasn't for all the coordination with tracon and all the BS that goes along with the job it really is a cool yet demanding job. Get to go and "loiter" in a lot of places almost noone else gets to go!! Can you say FRZ 1500 ft MSL all day....

Latest resources

Back