Pay during training at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
I heard that in OAK it was/is almost impossible to give away a hard line much less reserve, however I did hear that it was very doable in the other bases.

Is that true?

Overall, FO trips can be hard to get rid of, expecially the ones you can hold as a first year ... but it never hurts to try.

Chest Rockwell said:
Are we talking huge sums in the overall scheme of things? Probably not, but it is a small step that could lead to the erosion of trust and goodwill between the Pilot's union and the Company.

Yeah chest....the goodwill has eroded to the point that the Company now tells all the New Hires during their 1st day of indoc how to do this.....

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
Yeah chest....the goodwill has eroded to the point that the Company now tells all the New Hires during their 1st day of indoc how to do this.....

Tejas

If the Company rather than the union endorses it, then I cannot say anything about anyone doing this (other than too bad it was not aavailable when I was a new-hire).

Yeah CR......I know it does almost seems like it would be cheating the system, and you are right for the reasons it was initially designed. But it actually does work for the way it was intended, a win win for everybody. First year folks that take advantage of trip giveaway/second year pickup seem to always fall on the high productivity side. High productivity from an FO at second year rates is a big win for the company.

As a first year FO, if you don't mind spending some time hawking ELITT and Open Time and flying some extra hours, you are messing up if you don't take advantage of the deal. It also forces you to become proficient at our computer schedule system! I wouldn't call it cheating the system. It's just another one of those little things that makes our company such a great place to work! Everybody is happy :)

Chest Rockwell said:
If the Company rather than the union endorses it, then I cannot say anything about anyone doing this (other than too bad it was not aavailable when I was a new-hire).
I suppose you also think Lance Captains giving away FO trips so they can pick up Captain trips is wrong?

If the company didn't want guys doing it, they'd say so. There have been other "policy" positions expressed by SWAPA on similar subjects in support of the company. A recent ELITT issue comes to mind. If there was an issue, then it would be brought up and dealt with.

Here's the fact of the matter, I was way more productive for the company being able to discard year 1 stuff in exhange for year two stuff. One month I bagged 141 trips, over 76 of it at year 2 pay. Think I'd work that hard if I had to fly 90 TFP for year 1 pay first?? Not in a million years.

I make more, the company gets a guy to come to work more. It's a win win for all of us.

Last edited:
Chest,

If we are talking intent, the intent to me seems to be for the 1st year guys to pick up as much of the crap (open time) trips that no one wants so they can save there reserves and not have to JA guys which cost the company even more money. So that 1st year guy who trades all his trips could actually be saving the company money and scheduling has more flexiblity with the reserves. Just a thought.

By the way, just finished my first year in OAK, only had 3 hard lines in 12 months. Hard to give that reserve away.

So using N1's numbers, a new hire can make around 48,000 without making any adjustments to their schedule? Is this correct, or am I missing something else that impacts the W2?

Thanks,

-Spartacus

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back