Pax weights on DAL mainline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rptrain said:
i find this interesting. someone please confirm: ASA now uses 190/195 (summer/winter) weights for pax, and if a pax "pink tags" a carry-on that adds another 30 pounds to the cargo? what's the average weight for a checked bag, and do you have a new method for accounting for "heavy" bags?

and i thought our new weights were restrictive. too many krispy kreme's down south apparently.
Dear lord, America has gotten fat. We need a low-carb airline. :)

The new weights will cause us problems with pax and JSers. But, I think that 190 is an accurate average weight to use, and a carry-on that ends up going in the cargo hold weighs at least 30 lbs! C'mon, you know people don't weigh 170 lbs except for the fit and young, and those carry-ons that people struggle with up in the terminal are 30 lbs or more. I think everyone knows this to be true but hate the thought of bumping passengers/bags/JSers. I hate bumping revenue paying passengers and JSers as well as I am a commuter.

Dispatch needs to do their part by not fueling us so heavily for far away alternates when one close by works. I see this all the time here at ASA. How many times do they list an alternate when the weather doesn't require one? We as pilots must look at the weather and fuel carefully, and then converse with dispatch to eliminate what is not required. Unforunately in ATL, passengers get bumped before bags as ASA, and all airlines, have to pay bag delivery fees to have a passenger's bag delivered to their home if it wasn't on that person particular flight. Anyway, that's what I think for what it's worth.

Another problem is CG. The RJ is already nose heavy and there are situations where, due to weight, no ballast can be added to the cargo area. This means we will bump some pax from "section A" just to be legal. Be sure to ask your FA's for a kid count!!!

Freebrd said:
Dispatch needs to do their part by not fueling us so heavily for far away alternates when one close by works. I see this all the time here at ASA. How many times do they list an alternate when the weather doesn't require one? We as pilots must look at the weather and fuel carefully, and then converse with dispatch to eliminate what is not required. Unforunately in ATL, passengers get bumped before bags as ASA, and all airlines, have to pay bag delivery fees to have a passenger's bag delivered to their home if it wasn't on that person particular flight. Anyway, that's what I think for what it's worth.
Call up your dispatcher and tell them to knock it off, eventually they will get the hint. If they never get a phone call regarding the distant alternate (when MCN is ok), they will continue to piss on the carpet.

The duder

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back