Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

180ToTheMarker

12 months of October
At ASA, our pax weights just went from 170/175 to 190/195...this really affects our ability to carry 50 folks not to mention a jumpseater, especially on short flights because we are landing weight limited.

Is DAL mainline affected and if so, can the MD-88 carry a full load plus a j/s an short flights...ie MEM-ATL???

Thanks

180tothemarker,

I am sure it affects us somehow, but we don't really see it. We are given our weight and balance already prepared just before push back, and we choose what derated thrust setting we want(not always a choice, though since we have been very full as of late)--and I haven't seen any problems carrying a jumpseater. (you all are welcome!) I don't know very much about the MD-88 and weight problems, but the 757 and 767 can handle the extra weight it seems....

Bye Bye--General Lee

So General,

Since it appears, sadly so, that the DAL pilots will have to take a paycut, could y'all ask the company, in the spirit of cooperation, to allow unlimited jumpseaters?
I am sure, considering what the company is asking, that this should be an easy deal to strike.

Also, some of the W&B issues that came up during the 1900 investigations don't really affect mainline aircraft as much because of the multiple baggage bins and being able to spread the load out evenly throughout the CG range. Sucks when you have all the weight at the end of a long arm like on the 1900, RJs, EMB120's etc. I guess the ATR is the only one that's a bit different in that regard.

180ToTheMarker said:
Is DAL mainline affected and if so, can the MD-88 carry a full load plus a j/s an short flights...ie MEM-ATL???

Thanks
I don't really think it would have the same effect. I'm not currently flying the MD-88, but if memory serves me, and it just might not, the MD-88 has a Max Zero Fuel Weight of 118,000lbs, a Max Take Off Weight of 149,500lbs and a Max Landing Weight of 130,000lbs. If the MD-88 took off at MZF it could land with 12,000lbs of fuel, which is usually plenty enough to make it to an alternate and still have 5000lbs remaining.

Well it happened to me for the first time. We had to leave a JS rider behind. We had and ALT but only 250 lbs above ramp fuel. Our max was 50 peeps and 65 bags, and that includes the carry on "valet" bags that people leave at the bottom of the stairs.

Here is the part that does not make sense, the new weights include one personal item and one carry on bag per pax. Now, if you can not fit your carry on in the "LARGE" overhead bin it goes in the back and gets counted again as 30 lbs. Not to mention not everyone brings a carry on bag with them.

We will be leaving a WHOLE bunch of revenue pax behind, not to mention JS riders. Spread the word.

i find this interesting. someone please confirm: ASA now uses 190/195 (summer/winter) weights for pax, and if a pax "pink tags" a carry-on that adds another 30 pounds to the cargo? what's the average weight for a checked bag, and do you have a new method for accounting for "heavy" bags?

and i thought our new weights were restrictive. too many krispy kreme's down south apparently.

Well, thank God McDonalds rescinded their "Super Size" meals----so we as a nation can't get any fatter....... Next thing you know the "average" will be 215 pounds......

Bye Bye--General Lee

rptrain said:
i find this interesting. someone please confirm: ASA now uses 190/195 (summer/winter) weights for pax, and if a pax "pink tags" a carry-on that adds another 30 pounds to the cargo? what's the average weight for a checked bag, and do you have a new method for accounting for "heavy" bags?

and i thought our new weights were restrictive. too many krispy kreme's down south apparently.
That is correct, 190/195 plus 30 pounds for a pink tag. If they can stuff the back on the airplane it does not count. Our standard for checked luggage is 30 pounds as well. Somebody went over the deep end with the new weights, we should just make all of the RJ's 40 seaters, that is all we will be able to take!

Latest resources

Back