PAX vs Freight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whine Lover

This has been covered many times. Everyone has their personal opinion / preference. This is only MY experience and/or opinion. Ya'll are welcome to yours...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've worked for two airlines:

-One Cargo/Freight

-One Pax

The freight job ended up being half day and half night flying. And I only flew, on average, 7.8 days per month over my six year tenure as a Freight Dog.

At the pax job I generally fly, on average, about 14 days per month.

Short and sweet?....I'll never fly freight again.

Why?...Read the thread about the mice dying early when they had their body clocks jacked around.

I can tell you from experience that pulling that all-nighter will make you feel like you are hungover without even having had the pleasure of the drunken debauchery prior. It's no fun, and you start to dread going to work on those trips that you know you will be up all night.

If you don't die early, after years of feeling like Krap...you get to collect the "Pot of Gold" at the end of the rainbow. ( Retirement ) Good Luck with that Lottery. That's how it is at ANY airline. BUT realistically, you will have less of a chance of making it to 60 when you mess with your circadian rythms constantly over a period of years.

Also, as somebody previously mentioned, it really does suck eating dinner and watching all the other crews heading into the hotel bar. Then, when you come down to the lobby at 10pm they are stumbling out and ready for A) the Room Party with the FA's, B) Letterman / Leno, or C) rubbing one out if the Room Party doesn't "work out".

You, on the other hand, WANT to go to sleep...but you are drinking coffee so you can stay awake and fly with 2 old,fat guys so you can get to the Hub / Sort and tap your toes from 2-6 am. Only to repeat the process so that you can get to some hotel at 9am and try to get some sleep with the maids banging around in the halls and all the doors slamming as people leave to check out.

Some of my buddies from my previous life stayed in night freight...their wives / kids / financial needs / mortgages forced them too.They are at: ABX, FDX, UPS, DHL and a handful of other outfits. They are all good enough friends to tell me the TRUTH : "I don't like my job. The money is great."

On the other hand here's a good example you might learn from:

My buddy was an Emery DC-8 Captain. He was Senior enough to hold Postal Contract flying which afforded him the luxury of mostly day flying. However, there were many times he had to fly the regular Night Hub. He was making about $140-150,000 / yr.

All I ever heard from him was how he hated the thought of going to work most of the time. Finally, I told him.."Shut up. YOU are the one who has flown for three freight airlines, why do you keep doing something you don't like?"

He quit and went to work for Spirit as a $30,000/yr DC-9 FO.

He has never been happier. And, he certainly looks better due to having lost 30 pounds and getting to sleep on the "right side of the clock".

IMHO:

"Night Freight = Right side of the pay scale. Wrong side of the airport. Wrong side of the clock."

And remember...Two "wrongs" never make a "right".

YKW

Last edited:
This has been covered many times......

So, what makes you think anyone wanted to hear it again? Who are you trying to convince anyway. You're where you want to be so what's the issue.

Ain't it great that you found something you like and I did too? Since we all can't have the same job, it's nice that not everyone wants to do the same thing.

I love night freight and working at Fedex is great. I sleep like a baby from 0700 to at least 1500. I wake up feeling great and enjoy going to work. I don't even try to nap on the turn because I got so much sleep during the day. There ain't a room party in the world that's worth more than the piece of mind I have thanks to a good contract, a successful company and job security. To each his own.

I figured maybe some of the younger guys with decisions to make might want a brief analysis and one man's point of view.

Why so defensive?

I'm glad you are happy where you are at.

Good Luck to all in this whacked out flying business.

YKW

P.S. - I think you mean "peace" of mind. A "piece" of mind would be the cells that are dying off like the mice in the sleep experiment. Doh!

Thanks for the spelling lesson.

Defensive? I don't know how you get that. I was just trying to figure out why you felt the need to post a "War and Peace" version of the reasons for a choice you've already made and are happy with. If you think it will help someone, post away.

If I had to sit for the sort from 0200-0600 and not get to a hotel until 0900, I probably wouldn't like it as much. Our sort typically goes from 2300-0300. It's a rare situation where I'm not in my hotel room by 0700.

And all this assumes I WANT to fly nights. I happen to like it. I do have a choice if I want to stay senior in my seat and fly days. Something for everyone.

We get it Whine lover.

You hate changing your sleep cycle. Many pilots have sleep issues and they get worse as you get older.

You love FA's.

You love the terminal vs. the freight side of the airport.

Don't try to glamorize it anymore than that. Unless you want to continue to try to convince yourself of the eminently profound decision process you have come up with. We don't all want the same thing. And not one type of pilot lifestyle is the only the "right" lifestyle. Get off the high horse before you fall off.

You would be better off just posting facts and what particulars you find good or bad.

BTW, you missed a point.

The pax biz is INCREDIBLY competitive and things change very quickly. Like who is doing well and growing vs. who is downsizing and losing money. While it is true new airlines very often fail, sometimes they do well. And there are a lot of new entrants to the pax biz right now.

Everyone is all giddy how SWA is raising fares $5 here and $7 there. Guess what, this is fueling the dreams of investment bankers as they fund $8 Bill takeover tries. It may be good for SWA but is REALLY good for all the other players. You'll see.

I wish you well but the pax biz, IMHO, has equal risks.

Last edited:
Thank God you Posted this twice!!!

I might have missed these Pearls of Wisdom!!!

Too each their own. I know I made the right decision for me on the 1st and 15th of every month and every time I walk thru a terminal. (Esp around the holidays.)

YKW

P.S. - I think you mean "peace" of mind. A "piece" of mind would be the cells that are dying off like the mice in the sleep experiment. Doh!

Sir, before you attempt to correct others, I urge you first to go through your original post with a basic English guide. I see spelling errors, grammar errors, and far too many "quotes" for emphasis. High school writing, at best.

I want to correct some misinformation that pax flying is mostly daytime. I'm new with Continental on the 757/767 flying 90% to Europe. We leave Newark around 700-900 pm arriving over there around 300-400 am Eastern time. We lay over for 24 hours. That means the next day we get up around midnight-200 am Eastern (bodyclock) time. So in effect we are flying a double redeye on every 3 day trip which is pretty standard for Newark 757/767 crews. Then when we do fly domestic there are a fair number of transcon redeyes on the return flight. There are a handful of domestic daytime one day trips but by far the majority of us fly the international double redeyes. The 777 crews fly even more whacked out bodyclock trips. So don't use the daytime flying argument when it comes to passenger airlines. I just wanted to make that clarification.

Latest resources

Back