Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C

C172Guy

Ok. Please let me know all the differences that you can think of between the cargo and pax lifestyles. Things like pay, schedules, and anything you can possible think of.

Also, what are some good regional cargo companies around the midwest that are good to work for?

Thanks.

cargo

Cargo vs Pax....a freight dawgs perspective.

Pay....pretty much a draw until the recent DL and UAL pay raises. We hope to catch up on our next contract.

Schedules....Cargo is better for commuting. More of a week on/week off type schedule with weekends off. Mostly night flying so if you can't deal with that don't consider cargo. Reserve can be a good deal if you like living in domicle. Seniority is everything...I've had some really easy trips for the last year or so because I have the seniority to hold them.

Benefits.....medical and retirement....is a draw as far as I know. We have both....that's about all I can tell you. Airline passes....you are much better off at a pax company if travel benefits are important to you.

Lifestyle....I think I get more time off than your average pax guy and fly fewer block hours a year. On the downside....I work at night and sleep during the day....not fun but I can live with it. No flight attendants but every time I bring this up with a pax guy they just laugh and say "that" being fun wears off pretty quick.

Not sure what else to say.....it's a job. I love flying but to a certain extent it just becomes a job after a while....I wouldn't want to do anything else but at the same time I wouldn't do it for the love of it either. Most companies don't treat you well enough to make you love coming to work all the time....think that's the same in non-flying jobs, too, though. I guess Southwest is the exception....those guys seem to love their company.

I work for a pax regional, and I love my job. I also worked for a cargo regional, and I know it's different from the big guys, but I've seem both just the same. If you asked me now which I would choose, I would say cargo, by a thin margin. Mostly because I just like to work at night. The flight attendants can be fun, but now they lock them out during flight, and they can be just as much of a pain as they can me an asset. Cargo never gets sick, or complains about thier connections or turbulence, and they rarely hijack you. Of course, pax guys never carry hazmat, as cargo guys do.

Once you have your career job, the flight time per year doesn't matter as much, so it really is a matter of choice. I know a lot of guys who wouldn't even apply to a cargo carrier, and some who prefer cargo, and still others who will take either. I guess I'm in the last category.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your career.

Thanks for the replies. The more and more I read on this board about the cargo airlines, I am thinking I would like to go that route. They seem like they are a little more stable.

Not that I'm looking for a job right now, I still have a long way to go, but are there any good cargo regionals around the midwest to work for? (I'm from Illinois).

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back