Pax suspected pilots drunk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with trainerjet.

If there is any remark or suggestion of possible use of alcohol by any member of the flight crew of an airliner, the following should take place.

1) If before you leave the gate: Do not leave the gate. Stop everything, summons the authorities, advise dispatch and demand a test.

2) If you have pushed: Return to the gate, do not takeoff. Summons the authorities and have them meet you. Advise dispatch and demand a test.

3) If it happens while airborne: Advise ATC/Dispatch, have authorities meet the aircraft at the gate. Divert to the nearest suitable airport immediately. Hold the door closed until the authorities arrive. Demand a test.

4) If it happens after landing. See #2. Don't open the door until the authorities are at the airplane.

Yes, tell the passengers on your PA. You don't have to identify the passenger to the other passengers and should not. Do identify the passenger to the authorities.

Protect your career. This is not a game and there is nothing funny about such an accusation or implication. Protect yourself.

If you have a union, call your rep immediately and report the incident. Your union should demand that the Company ban the accuser from future flying on your airline.

You can't keep idiots from buy a ticket, but you can keep them from falsely accusing pilots of behavior that could destroy your career. It's real important that you not leave the aircraft until the authorities are there and you can get the tests. That protects the "chain of custody".

The same should apply re any drug related accusations.

You all seem to be pretty upset at this passenger, and if it was a joke, I fully agree with you. However, what if they saw or heard something that made them think the crew was impaired? I would hope that someone would speak up, probably the FA or a gate agent, but even a passenger has the right to say something, with good cause.

If the worst thing that happens is the flight cancells, that's much better than letting a flight leave with someone suspecting something that doesn't speak up. I do believe flights HAVE left with all of the crewmembers impaired, and nobody said anything until they arrived.

skydiverdriver said:
I do believe flights HAVE left with all of the crewmembers impaired, and nobody said anything until they arrived.

Me too....its called not enough sleep on a 9 hour overnight. 0600 push...yeah, Im impaired....Im f#ckin TIRED! ;)

This is a much bigger problem than alcohol...by leaps and bounds.

I still think I will identify the passenger :D

Then I will sue him!

Last edited:
The MP-5

The MP-5 that most units use shoot 9mmx19, but there are conversions out there for 10mm and 0.40 cal

The weights range from 4.4lbs to 7.63lbs with the most often used model wieghing 6.47lbs.

The MP-5 is used by most police departments, the military and other government agencies. The FBI often uses the MP-10 because of the greater stopping power of the 10mm shell.

Refusal to take any drug/alcohal test will result a positive test.

Whether it was random, suspision or what.

If these guys would have raised a stink over it, and said they were not going to coperate, thats where it would have ended, we are bound and tied on this one.

The article said "blood/alcohal", what is the FAR say about giving blood and then flying? Its late, I will look tomorrow.

I guess the saying "the customer is always right" works with the airlines to.

A few month ago we had a passenger get upset with a flight attendant because his piano case luggage would not fit in the overhead, he caused a scene and walked off the A/C and told a gate agent that he though the FA was drunk, she had to go get tested.

Its sad, we as pilots/crew are givin all the rope in the world to hang our selves and it is up to us not to tie the knot and stay clean, but here comes MR/MS priss with an attitude that can do as much damage to us as if we busted an altitude or didnt hold short at the runway, or worse.

Hey, I know some guys I fly with that just look drunk, and thats because of there looks, can that guy get a lawyer to hear his case of discrimination becuase of the way he looks.

How long will it be before we hear that a patient at the hospital accuses the surgeon of being intoxicated.

Thanks, Shawn!

I poked around a little and found a web page on the MP-5.

Back when I was at the academy, we didn't have access to anything like the H&K stuff.

A few weeks ago, I saw a show on cable about the new gerneration of weapons, including some programmable stuff that will burst above the enemy when they are crouching behind cover.

Back on topic: has anyone seen a statement from their union, and mentioned whatever action will be taken there?

Sad to say, there are more surgeons who operate alcohol-impaired than we'd like to think. I have a good friend who's an MD who has spoken of colleagues who "are more steady after they've had a couple of drinks". Usually the patient is too sedated to notice, but I don't understand how fellow medical professionals allow this to happen. Disturbing.

Re: Which two idiots are you refering to?

J41CA said:
Based on your ending comments, it appears you were suggesting the ACA pilots were at fault. I didn't interpret the situation as being caused by a crew member. Rather, it was a passenger comment, which was solely based on the America West fiasco. It is ACA's policy (as well as most other airlines) to return to the gate and test the crew members. The end result was the inconvienence of many pax because of one persons sensless comments.

I think that the idiots being referred to were the 2 America West jacka$$es that started this whole mess. We all know that ACA pilots are cool. ;)

skydiverdriver said:
You all seem to be pretty upset at this passenger, and if it was a joke, I fully agree with you. However, what if they saw or heard something that made them think the crew was impaired? I would hope that someone would speak up, probably the FA or a gate agent, but even a passenger has the right to say something, with good cause.

Dude don't be so thick. You know everytime something from the industry ends up in the news some jackass always has to say something. Remeber all the "how'd you sleep last night" or "are you getting tired" comments after Little Rock? You actually think this idiot had any credible reason for making this statement other than the fact that he is a f...ing moron?

LAPD Airship said:

Me too....its called not enough sleep on a 9 hour overnight. 0600 push...yeah, Im impaired....Im f#ckin TIRED! ;)

This is a much bigger problem than alcohol...by leaps and bounds.

I still think I will identify the passenger :D

Then I will sue him!

Amen to that....................

A lack of rest is still a big problem. A 9 hour layover doesn't mean 9 hours behind the door, but I'm preaching to the choir............

AF

Latest resources

Back