• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pax announcements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember when I was flying with one of my non-flying friends (read: hapless victems), we were passing over a lake and he asked which one it was (the opening), I replied "You mean you weren't keeping track of where we were, I gave you the map for a reason."

He turns white and says "huh?!?"

I reach over for the sectional and open it up fully and start comparing stuff ("this lake looks like this one, but that river looks diffrent..."). Finally I close the sectional and say "I have no clue where we are, I guess I am going to have to land at the next gas station and ask for directions."

He doesn't like that idea one bit, he then looks at the panel, and finally sees the moving map on the GPS (finally I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep it up), looks at it and looks back at me, I have one of those grins on my face.

That was the best prank that I ever pulled on any of my passengers yet.

bssthound said:
Every town is "Round Rock," every lake is "Clear Lake," and, when overwater, every island is "Isle de Hablas." Naturally, the pax doesn't want to show his ignorance of geography so he just nods his head knowingly, sometimes adding an "I thought so."

The Isle de Hablas is pretty clever!! "Island of you speak."

I don't know what dilligaf means either.

wow acronymfinder.com. . . . . . there really is a website for everything.

lumax,

Alot of guys carry the "Aviators' Quick Reference Map of the United States" made by Airmaps Inc. Their phone number is 800-852-1470. The maps come in two styles, one is laminated and folded twice (rather large, but you can use a highlighter to draw on it and erase it when you're done) and the other is folded to a smaller size and made of a non-tearable material (like those matress tags that can't be destroyed!) Both are US maps with VOR's (with frequencies) and airports displayed. The back of the map has numerous facts about each state, the Great Lakes, and other tidbits.

I also carry "The Captain's Atlas" which is nothing more than an atlas with VOR's (with frequencies) and Jet routes overlayed (one state per page). I don't know if it also comes in a Victor airway version. This too can be purchased from Airmaps Inc.

The map costs around $20 but I can't remember how much the atlas goes for (I bought mine many years ago). I hope this helps. Remember, just because you have all of those "facts" at your disposal doesn't mean the 150+ people in the back want to hear them!

JBL

Latest resources

Back