Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passport renewal/ surrender old but go every week to canada?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inthegoo

I need to renew my passport, but I go to Canada every week, and they want me to surrender my old one, and I will be without one for a while? wtf?

What have you done?

-JI

Don't worry about it. It's not even a real country, anyway.

same day renewals are available, like regionalcap said, by appointment. expect it to literally take all day long.

Also, make sure you bring a letter from your chief pilot on company letterhead, detailing your need for a passport in the near future to travel internationally.

Your Airline ID will not be good enough (at least in ORD and PHL)

I renewed mine in Feb and had my new passport in about 5 days after I sent it off. Just normal processing. I thought when it showed up in the mail it was my old passport. I had Scheduling reassign me to a domestic overnight for one sequence while it was in process.

Due to an accidental washing of my passport I replaced it the same day. I'm in Detroit so Chicago was logical but it was way too booked up (the busiest one I'm told). So I jumpseated into Reagan, and took a cab to the passport office. You do the paperwork in the morning (about 30 min wait for me) than after getting your pickup time you go eat, walk around etc. Total time for me was about 6 hours until I had my new passport in hand.

For the 'letter', just show them anything that you are an airline pilot (ID was fine for me, but they also said offer letter, manual, whatever. They really don't care). Fee was about $160 total though.

I guess it depends on the office/person you get. But in ORD, my ID was not acceptable. Even with a copy of my schedule saying I was going to Canada the next week.

I had to call my Chief Pilot and then walk to a copy shop, get their fax number and get a fax sent to me there. They wouldnt even let me fax the letter to their office. Total pain.

So just to be safe I would get the letter.

IMO it's not worth the hassle of going to another city to sort out the renewal. At Mesaba we just tell scheduling and they put us on the Canada no fly list. Problem solved until the passport comes back, then you get off the list and can go back to Canada.

Latest resources

Back