Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passing the plane next to you on final...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks, Vector. That was what I suspected but couldn't find a reference like that. I think it is silly to forbid one 737 from passing another. I think it would be safer than having them pull up right along side each other, but that's just me.

I'm sure it's possible that there are local procedures that differ with the standard rule. Especially if there have been "problems" with the standard procedure. As far as finding out which facilities have waivers/exceptions/special procedures, that's a problem. I don't know of any way to find out except call the facility and ask.I don't even find any interest in the FAA to make such info available.

Perhaps the reason a large airplane should not pass another airplane that is on final for the parallel is due to wake turbulence. If a cross wind is blowing from the larger plane toward the smaller plane the wake turbulence from the larger overtaking aircraft could blow over to the parallel and at a low altitude could be disasterous for the smaller aircraft. Perhaps the airports rules also change depending on the direction of the wind. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back