• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passengers perspective on new Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta's coach seats rank up there with the worst I have ever sat in!

Agreed, particularly the new, refitted seats. They must have searched long and hard to find the stiffest, thinnest, least comfortable foam cushion possible. It is important to note that Delta is not alone, I've noticed the same sort of awful seats on a number of US airlines over the last few years.

Having said that, I've always found that Boeing aircraft seem to have more flexible wings and hence provide a smoother ride, especially if there's turbulence in the area. I've also noticed that sitting in certain rows in Airbus aircraft seems to result in listening to an unrelenting, loud, annoying hydraulic pump whine. Granted, the only airbus aircraft I've been on have been the A320 family, so this may not be true of other planes.

Not that my opinion makes any difference!

Doesn't quite add up. Old 767's have projection screens not TV's.
757's do. Not sure we fly a 757 that far. Could be wrong, but if we did, this was a last minute sub. Sorry for their issues.

I put in a lot of miles on air carriers in last year (more than 500,000 into my various airline loyalty accounts). By far and away the Delta folks were the most professional I dealt with. The aircraft were all clean and comfortable.

More to the topic here, I have flown many non-US / non-UK carriers as both a passenger and as a manufactuer's representative. Due to my experiences, I no longer travel on non-US/non-EU carriers ... certainly not ME carriers no matter how new their equipment or their entertainment.

Simply stated, I will take a US carrier with US trained and qualified crews before I will ever consider the age of the aircraft of the "quality" of the entertainment system ... unless you consider crew inexperience a part of the in-flight entertainment.

Bob

More to the topic here, I have flown many non-US / non-UK carriers as both a passenger and as a manufactuer's representative. Due to my experiences, I no longer travel on non-US/non-EU carriers ... certainly not ME carriers no matter how new their equipment or their entertainment.

Simply stated, I will take a US carrier with US trained and qualified crews before I will ever consider the age of the aircraft of the "quality" of the entertainment system ... unless you consider crew inexperience a part of the in-flight entertainment.

Bob
I find it hard to believe that you would prefer to fly on an US airline vs. the likes of Lufthansa, AF, Iberia, Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, Singapore, etc! There is simply no comparison! Many of the ME and Asian carries employ US flight crews while the training in other parts of the world is among the best in the world and often times much more rigorous than the FAA standards!

I rode on a DAL 737-700 out of ORD this week, plane looked brand spankin new inside and out, really comfy ride....great trip

Now the MD88 ride back, little different...Had to literally flush my own urine down the lav with bottled water, no potable, etc......crew mentioned they were not going to be serviced at the destination either....yikes!

I rode on a DAL 737-700 out of ORD this week, plane looked brand spankin new inside and out, really comfy ride....great trip

Now the MD88 ride back, little different...Had to literally flush my own urine down the lav with bottled water, no potable, etc......crew mentioned they were not going to be serviced at the destination either....yikes!

That's because it was brand new. They recently started taking delivery of the 737-700's.

I think DL has a pretty good product, despite what one doosh bag on an international flight says. People will complain about anything depending on their frame of mind. A while ago, some little old lady was complaining that she flew on a bigger airplane out of MDW the last time she flew. I just told her the 747 was in the shop and this was a loaner..yawn.....

Exactly, Why do you think the FAA changed the passenger weights recently? Hint: it wasn't because the airlines crammed more seats into the planes.

Air Midwest 5481

Although the pilots had totaled up the take-off weight of the aircraft before the flight and determined it to be within limits, the plane was actually overloaded and out of balance, due to the use of incorrect (but FAA approved) passenger weight estimates. When checked, the NTSB found that the estimates were over 20 pounds (9kg) lighter than the actual weight of an average passenger. After checking the actual weight of baggage retrieved from the crash site, and passengers (based on information from next-of-kin and the medical examiner), it was found that the aircraft was actually 600 pounds (272Kg) above its maximum allowable take-off weight, with its center of gravity 5% rear of allowable limits.
It was determined that neither problem alone would have caused the loss of control, which explains why it departed Huntington, West Virginia safely.

Aftermath

As a result of the weight issues discovered, the FAA planned to investigate and potentially revise estimated weight values, something that was not done since 1936. Air Midwest now use an average weight of 200 pounds(90.7Kg) per passenger, but the NTSB suggests that airlines use actual weights instead of average. 70% of small air carriers still use average.[4] Air Midwest publicly apologized for the incident after the family of crash victim Christiana Grace Shepherd pressured the airline to do so.
Wikipedia

This woman has obviously never ridden the jumpseat in a CRJ :)

Nor the luxurious throne in the Brasilia.

At least the CRJ has a seat back, although it is at an exact 90 degree angle.

For style, the MD-80's take the prize with motorcycle type pegs for your feet alongside the center pedestal. Cool!

Latest resources

Back