• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passenger numbers to nearly double by 2032, FAA predicts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont believe this. Where are the passengers coming from? I can possibly see if this is a worldwide figure, but certainly not domestic. Something tells me that this is code for lets spend some money on programs in anticipation of a "doubling" of passengers.

Can someone provide passenger totals for the last 30 years or so in the US. I'd like to see a bar chart reflecting capacity trends.

With the cost of gas going up, it might be cheaper to fly across the country than to drive across it to see Grandma....

Godspeed!

The OYSter

There is a major pilot shortage coming in the USA...........really, just wait and see, it won't be long now, it's just around the corner :)

C'mon guys, you really believe this? We're talking about government beancounters. Most of them couldn't find their own arse with both hands, a map, and a picture of what they're looking for.

Revenue seat miles have done nothing but go up for decades now with only a small recession after 9/11 but quickly recovered after a few quarters.... I've seen many graphs but would have to search a while to dig one up until I get home.

Is RPMs what this article about?

We all know passengers counts are up, but have they matched predictions?

And, yes, I like facts. Clear, concise, accurate facts.

If you look at it not all that closely, the growth is in Latin America and Asia, so that's where most of the pilot jobs, as well as passengers are coming (going) from.

Is RPMs what this article about?

We all know passengers counts are up, but have they matched predictions?

And, yes, I like facts. Clear, concise, accurate facts.

If you look at it not all that closely, the growth is in Latin America and Asia, so that's where most of the pilot jobs, as well as passengers are coming (going) from.

You're right. When one area crumbles (Europe), others can open up. It takes a nimble airline without eggs all in one basket to survive. We have shrunk Europe capacity by 8% I believe for the Summer, but have added flights to Asia, and we are eying a lot more of Latin and South America. Airlines based in Europe are really hurting, like AF/KL and LH. BA will likely do ok this Summer because of the London Olympics, where they can keep fares high and probably get demand anyway.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yeah, based on current trends... but the current trends won't continue—ie supply and demand for fuel will keep these figues in check.

If this is remotely true than regionals should be gone in no time—protect your scope folks!

I hate to interject fact...

Article is total BS.

At least for the US.

Look at this link, US passenger count has been flat since the 90's, more so since 1999.

http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_01_37.html

13 and more years of carrying the same passenger numbers, is that a success story?

No.

Look at the chart from 1975 to 1999, air passenger count tripled in 14 years. Thats growth.

The charts even show Large hubs have been flat and medium hubs have collapsed since the 90's, the only true growth has been at non-hubs, ie, LCC's.

We are in the sunset of a great industry, sort of like what happened to the Pony Express riders. We are being overcome by events. Adapt or die.

China/India may be the next boom, but not here.

Lets assume for one drug induced moment that the article is correct. Just where will all these jets be flying to and from, which airports will grow by double? LAX? ORD? LGA? Hardly. Who will have the money to buy a ticket when we have $150 barrel of oil.

What gives the FAA the right to spill these lies?

Oh....

This is propaganda at it's finest from the current pie in the sky, no tax to high, no entitlement to costly administration.

Last edited:
Another tidbit from Gary K's message to the field:
As a group, todays legacy carriers fly 35 percent fewer seats than they did ten years ago  instead, Southwest Airlines fleet has doubled.
Now, the important part isn't that SWA grew, it's that the other legacies gave up 35% of their hard earned market with narry a wimper.

What business can last when they shed 35% of their market? None I say, and any company not growing, is by definition failing.

This industry has been failing for 15 years.

Adapt or die.

Latest resources

Back