Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fifty30retard

Forgiven
Does anyone have access to the current CASM number for the major carriers in the US? Please no CASM numbers minus fuel costs. I would love to know what UAL's numbers are in paticuilar.
Also does anyone have any CASM numbers for Ryannair and other foreign LCC's?
Thanks.

Since short haul is inherently costlier than long haul, if you adjust the CASM by stage length, SWA blows them all out of the water, even JetBlue.

That is the ace that SWA has up its sleeve. Just a few years ago it was primarily just short haul. Most of its new service has been long haul so every quarter its stage length is increasing and the associated costs decreasing, which have offset is rise in labor rates. Its new transcons in the 700's are down in the 4 cent range. In contrast, Jetblue is increasing short haul service and reducing its average stage length thereby increasing its costs.

Widow's Son said:
Since short haul is inherently costlier than long haul, if you adjust the CASM by stage length, SWA blows them all out of the water, even JetBlue.

That is the ace that SWA has up its sleeve. Just a few years ago it was primarily just short haul. Most of its new service has been long haul so every quarter its stage length is increasing and the associated costs decreasing, which have offset is rise in labor rates. Its new transcons in the 700's are down in the 4 cent range. In contrast, Jetblue is increasing short haul service and reducing its average stage length thereby increasing its costs.

Interesting points however what will the field look like in 2008 if fuel prices remain static or increase. WN is reaping the benefits of a very smart hedge program that will expire over time. Yes the costs at JetBlue have increased but that's due to a rather large spike in the price of fuel. Their costs other than fuel actually went down last quarter as I recall. I'm sure WN "will figure it out" but it will be interesting.

MX Rider said:

MX rider,
Thanks for the info. Great stuff. The numbers at UAL are the most interesting to me because they have gone through all the downsizing, etc yet their CASM is still over 13 cents. I read their CASM before fuel was 7.9ish so fuel is killing them. Looks like Delta has a lot to gain in bankruptcy as thier costs (CASM)are relatively low.

Fifty30retard,

Why do you complement JBLU when their costs went up year over year and then throw out the usual comment about us saving our butt with fuel hedges? I am not knocking JBLU, because if their ex-fuel CASM is down, that is great news. But just by looking at the charts, you can see that OURS are down as well. Our year over year CASM is down, despite the fact that even with hedges (and we aren't 100% hedged) our average fuel costs per gallon have skyrocketed. So if fuel costs are up, yet our CASM including fuel is down, we must be doing something right in addition to hedges.

Latest resources

Back