PASS Cards....again........sorry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LUVStruck

Sorry to bring up the PASS Cards issue again, I know there have been plenty of questions on them already. However I searched and I could not find my answer. So here it is:

Do I order just the PASS Cards, or the profiles and flows too?

(I know it was a lengthy intro for a simple question)

Thanks for the help!

LUVStruck

I have two buddies who just got out of class. Neither of them recomended the PASS cards. They both bought the pass cards and both said they didn't even look at them. (Some of the material may be obsolete due to the changes in procedures, etc.)

They both recomended to me that I study (lightly) the material that you get shortly after the chief pilots call. They said that would be plenty of "pre-study."

The "737SW Cockpit Companion" book by Bill Bulfer is awesome. It may be a better investment in the long run.

www.fmcguide.com (click on books, cockpit companion and then scroll down about 2/3 of the page. 737 SW is what you want)

Last edited:
I have two buddies who just got out of class. Neither of them recomended the PASS cards. They both bought the pass cards and both said they didn't even look at them. (Some of the material may be obsolete due to the changes in procedures, etc.)

How can they not recommend them if they didn't even look at them? The PASS cards are a good source of info. You do not need to study all of them for the initial. They are color coded by memory items and limitations, general, etc.... I would check to make sure that they are up to date with John before I ordered.

As for the 737SW book. That is also a good reference but a lot of info that you do not need to know for the initial PC. As of last week Bill was in the process of getting an update together. So it may be a while.

for the most CURRENT stuff I would study the FOM, but that is just me.

Lear-

I can't speak for others but the PASS cards have gotten me through three check rides. Every question I've been asked by a check airman has been covered by the cards. They are the only thing I use to study for a check ride. John Pansmith is also real good about keeping them up to date.

I did class in early March and found the Pass cards excellent. I ended up making about 3 modifications to about 250 cards because of the new procedures and for all I know that stuff is now curent on there anyway.

I did order but did not use the flows/profiles though. They were all old flows and I didn't find it worth my effort to attempt to bring them in line with the new procedures. I think that at least one person did though. The profiles were pretty close but also were a little different and I did not use them much either.

I'd check with Capt. Pansmith and see if he had a chance to update the flows/profiles before I would buy those, but the cards are great. There was another set of study cards floating around class too from a different source. The PASS cards are true flash cards, i.e. short question on front, short answer on back. the other cards were more like the book reprinted in an easy to carry form, with 10 to 20 lines of stuff on the back of each. Those were not flash cards to my mind but more like study aids or something. To each their own, but if you want flash cards to memorize the limits/checked items, the PASS cards are great. Well worth the money in my opinion. I'm still carrying them and I'm in my first month on the line (look how salty I am). joke.

Great discussion. It sounds like there is some good use in the PASS cards (whatever PASS cards are...). How do you get them?

Thanks!
Smiling

Maybe I didn't say what I meant clearly. what I was trying to say is that my buddies didn't seem to think you needed the PASS cards. The ground school was very good and there was plenty of time to learn all of the required stuff without doing lots of prior prep. before going to class.

I think they both agreed the cards were good, but unnecessary from their perspective. (atleast for the initial ground school, probably very helpful for future PC's for a good refresher)

How much are the cards anyway? (maybe I'll get them so I won't feel left out)

website to buy them
http://www.pass737.com/pages/1/index.htm

The website says that all products are the new stuff so no worries there. In that case it might be nice to get the flows/profiles also.

In reference to Roughneck's buddies, I agree completly, you do not NEED the pass cards to get thru ground school or your checkride, etc. However, you might WANT them. I did and am glad I spent the money but others might not be. If you are a flashcard person and would rather have them already done versus spend hours and hours making your own, the price is 45 dollars. It really depends on whether you want a nice pre-made set of cards to use to memorize the checked items and memory checklists or if you'd rather just use chapter 2 in the fom and keep your 45 dollars.

A word on the Bulfer books, I have both, cockpit companion and the fmc guide, and they are very good, however, they are both way more in depth than anything covered in ground school or the checkride. I opened them maybe once in 6 weeks and that was just something I was interested in (max wing down in a sideslip only crosswind landing before you strike a pod, see, not relevant since the crab is the preferred crosswind landing technique according to the swa manual), by no means are those required or even desired as study material for your initial groundschool, imho. I agree that they will be good and I'm glad I have them but I would get the PASS cards first as a way to memorize the required memory items before I'd get the 'how to build a 737' type book.

I just got out of SWA new hire class and I recommend the cards. They get you into the swing of things. While I was in school, we got an update with the new procedures. The profiles and flows products are very helpful. I highly recommended.

Ohmy

Latest resources

Back