Part time flying job? Mixed Employment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

freakz101

Howdy, I'm a registered nurse by trade and a pilot on my way to commercial pilot, hopefully. I enjoy doing both. I only have to work 3 days a week tops as an RN. Are there alot of or any Part-time jobs for pilots, other than CFI? Could I fly for a living 1 or 2 days a week? Thanks for any info. And thanks Mattjenna for introducing me to this site. So much better than that other place.

FR,

You can certainly find work, but it's impossible to say what it is that you'll find. It's a matter of beating down the door of every employer you can contact.

If you intend to stick with your nursing job, you'll be tied geographically to one area. This limits your ability to pick up and move; a common requirement for pilots. This, in turn, limits what jobs you can accept.

Particularly in aviation, you're very much at the whim of the industry. Companies don't make room for you; you make room for them. That may mean a move each time you want to upgrade in equipment or position, and later domicile. Most entry level jobs don't permit or have opportunity for commuting. You may start out towing banners in Florida, then move to California to fly freight, and then to a charter department in Wisconsin, before taking a job in texas flying a regional, etc. You may make a move to a new job to upgrade from singles to multi engine airplanes, whatever.

Being tied to one local does restrict you somewhat, so it's a matter of determining what's available in your area. Alternately, if you move to take a job, you will do so to take a part time job and hope you can find regular nursing work to supplement what you do.

You asked about flying for a living one or two days a week. Especially at the entry level, most pilots will agree that it's not easy to make a living at seven days a week, let alone one. One day a week is fun, but won't buy a sack of potato(e-for the vice president)s or dinner. Add to that the fact that getting started, you need to be flying as much as humanly possible to gain experience and the highly coveted (but worthless) flight time.

Good luck!

R.N.

Have you considered parlaying your R.N. into an aviation mercy or medivac gig? Something like that might get your foot in the door and lead to bigger things.

Just an idea. Good luck with your training.

Check into the Reserves.

With your qualifications, you could become a flight nurse. You'd be commissioned, plus be on flight status. I don't know if you could do AFTPs (additional flight training periods) as pilots must. At the least, you'll receive drill pay (one weekend per month) plus flight pay. It's also a great way to network with airline pilots who fly in the Reserves. When you get your pilot qualifications to a point where you are a viable candidate for airlines, those contacts can be invaluable.

Check out units in the Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and Naval Reserve.

Good Luck...Fly Safe!

Latest resources

Back