Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FR8dognit

Good Ole'boys club member
Hi everyone. Maybe someone who has gone through this already can help. I get the feeling that most people going to SWA are 121 or ex military. I was part 135 cargo but now I am Corporate part 91.
My question is does anyone know what SWA wants in regards to records from the people I work for. I am not employed by the people I fly for. Only "contract labor". I fly with the same guy all of the time and he also manages the plane. Will his word and or records sent to SWA be enough or do I need to be gathering other things. I have all of the aircraft monthly logs.

Any suggestions of what others have done would be great.

Thanks.

Yes sir, as a civilian I'm 99% shure that you need to have a minimum of 1000 hours PIC in 121 operation, the competitive is 2500 hours PIC 121.

PJO said:
Yes sir, as a civilian I'm 99% shure that you need to have a minimum of 1000 hours PIC in 121 operation, the competitive is 2500 hours PIC 121.

A check airmans letter would also seem to be necessary.

Good Luck to all, including me.

:)

I was hired with no military time, no 121 time, and 34 minutes of turbojet time. (type rating bounces).
I did have about 3k hours of 135 turboprop pic time, and 5k hours total time. I was one of three civilians in my class of 20. Today the classes are usually 50/50 or better.

As a former corporate guy who is now at SWA I can attest that you will need a typed letter from your boss/ChiefPilot on company letterhead stating your position, employment dates etc. They're only going to ask for that AFTER you've been offered a job...so don't cross the bridge before you get there.

dude I know two guys who left Part 91 gigs (one was all turboprop) and is now at SWA.

yes, it does help if you are a company check airman or IP, but not required

The "only 121" or "only military test pilot check airman Edwards AFB test pilot school" crap is nonsense.

satpak77 said:
dude I know two guys who left Part 91 gigs (one was all turboprop) and is now at SWA.

yes, it does help if you are a company check airman or IP, but not required

The "only 121" or "only military test pilot check airman Edwards AFB test pilot school" crap is nonsense.

Note to self: Always disregard advice from a person who starts a sentence with "dude."

I was hired in 2000 with 3200tt 1200pic Tprop/Jet all Pt 91. Had two letters from Fo's. However, that was in 2000. Obviously a different time. I don't think we prefer any one type of pilot. Most classes are mixed. It's just now they can be a little pickier. Supply & Demand. The hard part is to get the interview. Once that has been accomplished you meet the quals. from there on it's personality. You must convience the interview team on how much you want the job. That brings up another point. Get the type or not? How bad do you want the job? The pilot interviewing you across the table had to have it just to get an interview. It's a hard choice and I and SWA understand not everybody has the resources to drop 7K on a maybe. Hence droping the requirement for the interview. But does it help? Sure it does. Does it mean you will get the job? No. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

Thanks to all for the feedback.
I have already dropped the $7380.00 for the type (a year ago). The main thing I am still curious about is the fact that I am contract labor for a private individual who runs his airplane under an LLC that has no employees and exists for the exclusive purpose as a safety net for liability reasons. Myself and one other individual fly and manage the aircraft. We get a check twice a month but there are no withholdings and no FICA etc taken out. We are on our own. The gentleman we fly for is extremely private and would not want people in his business,(i.e. where and when he travels) therefore I doubt he would be cooperative in sending any sort of letter. The individual I fly with knows I am trying for SWA (his wife is an FA) and he has no problem writing letters,sending records, etc. He keep the records on the plane and us. We sim at FSI so those records are no problem.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

BTW this is the easiest job I have ever had and it will be tough to give up. For a job at SWA though, l would do anything.

Latest resources

Back