• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Part 91 aircraft requirements for Mexico

hawkerjet

Total Time
Does anybody know what the requirements for an aircraft flying in Mexico are? I understand you need the usual, ARROW items plus US & Mexican insurance, but does anyone know of any gotcha items ? thanx in advance..

G100driver

Total Time
<2mil
It is not a gotcha item, but technically both pilots need to be typed. You can avioid this by being prepared to pay off the airport officals if asked. (according to Universal)

The other gotcha is eating salad. Do not do it. Drink all the water you want if you are at a tourist destination, but not the salad. The water and organic fertilizer ($hit) used in the field might not be washed off.

falconpilot

Total Time
Mexico isn't a big deal... But if you can do it... Just get a handler... Universal, Air Routing, etc.... Just makes things easier...

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Total Time
> enuf
I'd recommend using a handler in Mexico for at least the first couple of times. It's cheap insurance. There are a few no-nos. As G100Driver said, bring some nice crisp bills with you. They go a long way towards resolving any issues that may arise.

'Sled

Otter

Master of Nothing
Total Time
8000+
perhaps dumb question

I understood the SIC type requirement was not going to be enforced until March. Is the two typed pilots in Mexico new?

G100driver

Total Time
<2mil
Otter said:
I understood the SIC type requirement was not going to be enforced until March. Is the two typed pilots in Mexico new?

It has been a law for years, just selectively enforced. Insist that both pilots be typed.

hawkerjet

Total Time
I guess i was too vague... I understand the pilot requirements and can do my own handling in mexico for a 135 flight, but I was interested in the aircraft requirements, such as original registration and certs, mexican insurance.... part 91 rvsm manual, etc . anything else ,for a part 91 trip. I think I'm over analyzing.

TransMach

Total Time
>12K
Mexico

You need a permit. This is a new requirement, started in 2004, I think. You can get a one-time or an annual permit for "Private" (read FAR 91) operations. At many destinations the DGAC representative (MEX FAA - read Airport Comanancia) can "collect" the fee for the permit. You might want to check with Universal or Air Routing prior to going.

TransMach

some_dude

Total Time
Can one of the pilots have an SIC type rating? They are issuing those now, are they not?

G100driver said:
It has been a law for years, just selectively enforced. Insist that both pilots be typed.

G100driver

Total Time
<2mil
Yes ... in fact the local FSDO just issued one to recent LR-45 hire before he went to Europe.

sleepy

Living The Dream!
Total Time
Mexican ATC works a little differently than ours. They often lack radar coverage an rely on position reports from pilots (that is why they are always aksing for you DME from some navaid). They will also let you fly right into terrain if you are not careful. As long as you are situationally aware (as you should be anywhere) you will be fine.

Has Mexico switched to WGS-84 yet?