• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

part 141

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the tone of the message it seemed like he was asking about Part 141 schools in general. It isn't probable he will travel across the country just to go to Comair, unless he lives near it. He probably did his Private close by under 61, and if he was considering the big 141 schools like Comair he would have probably been there already. That is why I said "likely" because only a few select schools offer the reduced requirement.

When I said "red tape" I was speaking of all of the strict lessons and also all the paperwork that comes with Part 141 courses. I think a lot of schools just get the 141 certification to make it seem like the quality is higher than it really is. Not all of them are bad of course, and I am sure there are enough bad 61-only schools also. However I think there are more bad 141 schools than there are bad 61 schools, not only because of the reason I just mentioned, but also because poor instructors can get away with being poor easier under Part 141.

The amount of "fun" does depend on the instructor and the student, but on the school/FBO as well. Some are just better than others, allow more freedom, etc. For example, the stories we hear of how students have to battle each other for a plane because there aren't enough at a certain school... that makes it a lot less fun don't you think? Doesn't it also makes a difference whether the management of the school is in the business to make money or is in the business to have fun? I am not in flying to have political debates like some of these schools I hear (or should I say aviation colleges).

Latest resources

Back