Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigs024

Hey Everyone,
Just got my initial CFI yesterday, and now plan on instructing and building up the requirements to fly part 135. My question is about the 500 hour cross-country requirement. It's my understanding that this is airport to airport, and is not subject to the "greater than 50-mile" stipulation for ATP, etc. How do you log this if you go up with a student and fly to another airport maybe 20 minutes away, do some touch-and-goes, and then practice maneuvers? If you're up for, say, 1.5 hours, but only fly to another local airport, then is all of this time loggable towards the 135 x-ctry requirement or is there more to it than that? Thanks for your input.

The FAR you need to look at is 61.1(b)(3). If you land at another airport you can log the whole flight as cross-country.

Now that you’re an instructor you should keep track of cross-country time that counts towards 135 mins, and cross-country time that counts towards your ATP. A little further down in 61.1 you'll find the requirements for ATP cross-country, but basically anytime you fly more then 50 miles from your starting point you can log ATP xc, even if you don't land.

Last edited:
Here's what I did to make this easier:

When I converted over to Logbook Pro, I created a new column titled "X-C, > 50nm" and filled in the time as I made my entries. It helps me see just how many hours I need in every category to prepare for the ATP, which should happen around December. I continue to fill in the cross country column with all flights to another airport, which I began doing after attaining my commercial certificate.

Also, logbook pro makes a nice printout to show the feds for the logbook inspection, along with the handwritten book that I also keep currrent.

Of course, one of the best parts is the lack of math errors!

Latest resources

Back