Part 135 to major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll throw my card in the mix...

hired with Frontier a year ago (yes it's a major, by my and the DOT's standards)...

here's the kicker...absolutely NO recconmendations, and only 135 time, sure it was with Airnet in the lear for a couple of years, but it goes to show anything is possible...oh yeah, and it doesn't hurt i spent 3 years bugging the crap out of them for an interview.

Why else would we put up with the crap of flying 135.

Southwest hires guys with straight 135 time. Happens more than you might think.

90% of my time was pt 135 (Cherry Air)....in the three classes after me 3 more of my buddies from Cherry made the leap (2 were not straight from there; but they worked there at one point). None of us had anything but Part 135 time. I don't know about all the other airlines but it seems as if you have the time you are qualified.

Get the interview, smile, and impress them and I would say you have as good a shot as anyone else with us.

To give you an example...the day I interviewed there were 17 of us....3 got the job. Not one of us were former pt. 121 drivers. (2 Air Force and me)

Get into the left seat of something that burns Jet A...don't waste your time with anything else if you want to go to a major. If all else fails you have the time and you can find a corporate or fractional job. SOME:pimp: of those places aren't bad at all and would make for a good life.

We have had three go to SWA in the last two years? I'd say thats says something about 135 time. I actually think some companys like the time because its real flying. Night, hard IFR, cold and hot weather ops, international flying. But then again there are some that frown at 135 time too.

Damn, you posted right before I did. That proves something, like I said.

Careful, some guys flying 135 turbo prop on here might get their fragile ego's bruised. Then resort to calling you names like "dumblover" or something.

I would say not often. And if a guy is hired from 135 to a major, there were probably a couple things involved. 1. Highly connected, lots of recs or a rec from somebody high up 2. Extremely qualified, lots of time as well as large 135 time. Like a G4/5 or Global Express flying international 3. Both. The job market is tough. Demand for the labor of skilled pilots is relatively low, supply of skilled pilots is high.

Airline will hire from a broad spectrum, Military, prior 121, 135, ect. But one thing has ALWAYS been true. Airlines like to hire airline pilots.

I know, somebody will chime in with "I know a guy that got hire be XYZ and all he ever flew was a kingair."

Ok dumbjetdriver AKA "Regional Sucker". I like my 135 jet job it rocks! No bruised egos here, just you sounding like a dumb a$$. Now go drink a beer, and realize you got owned.
:beer:

Last edited:
Ok dumbjetdriver AKA "Regional Sucker". I like my 135 jet job it rocks! No bruised egos here, just you sounding like a dumb a$$ saying only airlines hire airline pilots. Now go drink a beer, and realize you got owned.
:beer:

Um, yeah, sure. Whatever dude. Owned? How old are you? I never said there was anything wrong with a 135 job. Are you sure that you don't have some sensitivity issues?

I never said airlines hire ONLY airline pilots. I just said that they are more of a known quantity than a small/unheard of 135 operator. Not as much as a mil guy is a known quantity, but along the same lines. If you could show me the breakdowns of newhires at "majors" proving that the majority had ONLY 135 time and nothing else, I would admit being at fault. I don't think I'll be admitting anything too soon. Like I said, if you took a snapshot of newhires at FedEx/UPS/DAL/CAL/SW, ect, I'll bet that most are prior 121, supplemental/ACMI, or military.

Go ahead, tell me that the majority of new hires had ONLY 135 experience and only 1 or 2 was 121 or mil. Come on, I'd like to see the data.

Click here, I'm sure that CAL isn't the only one;

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=88528&highlight=CAL+Newhires

Or here;

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=94341

Or for UPS, click here;

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=9841

Or for a rough idea on FedEx, click here;

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=84377&highlight=FedEx+Newhires

And more name calling, did you have anything intelligent to bring to the conversation? Again, Owned?

Last edited:
Um, could the fact that airlines hire more 121 pilots be due to the fact that a very large majority of pilots at 121 carriers are trying to move up in or stay in 121? Many pilots who go to 135 do so to avoid the regionals and are actually looking to move onto corporate or fractional. In order to make a fair comparison, you would need to compare the number of people who actually got onto a good 121 operator versus those who tried from both 121 and 135 backgrounds. From what I have seen, I doubt those ratios would be a whole lot different. I'll bet the majority of new hires come from 121, and I'll bet the majority of applications sitting in HR at any major 121 company will be from 121 pilots.

Um, could the fact that airlines hire more 121 pilots be due to the fact that a very large majority of pilots at 121 carriers are trying to move up in or stay in 121? Many pilots who go to 135 do so to avoid the regionals and are actually looking to move onto corporate or fractional. In order to make a fair comparison, you would need to compare the number of people who actually got onto a good 121 operator versus those who tried from both 121 and 135 backgrounds. From what I have seen, I doubt those ratios would be a whole lot different. I'll bet the majority of new hires come from 121, and I'll bet the majority of applications sitting in HR at any major 121 company will be from 121 pilots.

Um, good point. But that has nothing to do with the orgiginal poster's question. For the 100th time. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WHO WAS BETTER! If a 135 only guy wants to go corporate or fractional, great. Get the job you want and be happy. That has nothing to do with the issue of a guy with 135 experince only trying to get on at a 'major".

Make sense?

Hydroflyer is correct in saying that those who go to the 135 operators wish to avoid the regionals(in a lot of cases)...I know i did, why should i fly for free(practically) when a company will actually pay me well to build my time to move onto a major carrier...i never understood the whole "i want to fly for a regional thing"...oh well, for some i guess they believe that is the only way to move up in life. To each there own..

Also, i still believe 135 pilots are superior to those in the current 121 scene. Skills deteriorate when you come to fly these computers we operate now-a-days...again though, who am i, i am just a past 135 guy now flying 121...what do i know right. So there is my argument for you guys, fire away.

Latest resources

Back