• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Part 135 Customs

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
New to the Part 135 Customs procedures/forms...

Could someone please run through the process. Have a flight going non-stop in to YYZ (Avitat) and returning back in to NC, both with passengers...

Please include what forms I need going in to Canada and back into the U.S. Got the General Dec. forms for both U.S. and Canada along with the declaration cards for the passengers. APIS has been taken care of into & out... What am I missing.. ???

Thanks in advance...
 

Captain4242

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Posts
127
Total Time
+10300
Make sure to call Canadian Can Pass at least 2 hours before going into YYZ; they want to talk to the PIC. (Names, DOB, why and how long in CAN, questions like that). Let them know if your ETA changes by +- 15 minutes. They may very well NOT meet the plane upon landing, but you'll need to call them (again).
US seems to be more picky about paperwork and timliness; maybe understandably why. They will meet the A/C as opposed to CAN. Every customs guy/gal is different, seems to me. Best to have everything ready is what I do, even if they won't want it.
 

GREAT LAKES

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Posts
99
Total Time
6500
Customs

1. Fill out the Gen Dec.
2. Fax it to the nearest customs, for your clearance outbound stamp.
3. Have them fax it back to you. Keep it with you.
4. Call Canpass the night before.
5. Set up customs arrival back to the US no more than 48 hrs prior, no less than 2 hrs.
6. Call Canpass when you get there and get your number. Also get the badge number of the person.
7. Arrive back in the US at the scheduled time, or change it with them if it is going to be different.
8. Present each "crewmember" gen dec along with the passenger gen dec's (the skinny blue ones)
I think apis can only be done 24hrs prior to departure, but not sure. It only takes a few minutes to run it.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.

When in doubt always call the customs office directly. Some are different than others.
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
GREATLAKES,

Thanks, that is what I was looking for... All of my previous flights were Part 91 and things seemed to get more complicated with 135 flights..

Any other info... ???
 

kilroy

http://www.filecabi.net/v
Joined
Jul 10, 2004
Posts
439
Total Time
7000+
A few links to help you out. Also be dang sure you check all pax against TSA. The worst time for a problem is thru customs.

Unfortunatlly not all ports of entry require the same forms or procedures.. If I haven't clear thru a particular port of entry I fill all the forms out Crew Decs, Gen Decs, Paers and the welcome to America for Us Paxs. I-98 is for foreign pax. On another note some CBP officers don't want you to leave the aircraft apon arrival while others will let you die of starvation before they would come out to the aircraft.
If you are clear ILM don't leave the aircraft wait for the customs to come to you.

Ask before you fly inot ports. Some customs agent have no problem embarrassing you infront of pax's if the wrong paperwork is filled out.

One other thing if you file out of the USA as a 135 you must file back into the USA as part-135 regardless if you have pax on board vice versa for 91.

Good Luck



General Declerations.https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getformharness.asp?formName=cf-7507-form.xft

APIS https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/eapisj/eapis/login

customs http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
I drove over to the local customs office where we'll be clearing back in just to ask some questions and of course the "friendly" customs officer was acting like I was putting him out... :rolleyes: I love how these govt. agencies get all over you when you screw things up but get bent out of shape when you go out of your way to try and make sure you do it right...

I am scrambling to come up with the Crewmember Dec. forms... Anyone have some they could FedEx me if I PM you my FedEx account number ???

Thanks,
h25b
 

kilroy

http://www.filecabi.net/v
Joined
Jul 10, 2004
Posts
439
Total Time
7000+
You don't have to have an original form here is a link to a copy of crew dec formhttp:http:
//www.jfkforms.com/jfkcf2.pdf2.pdf

h25b said:
I drove over to the local customs office where we'll be clearing back in just to ask some questions and of course the "friendly" customs officer was acting like I was putting him out... :rolleyes: I love how these govt. agencies get all over you when you screw things up but get bent out of shape when you go out of your way to try and make sure you do it right...

I am scrambling to come up with the Crewmember Dec. forms... Anyone have some they could FedEx me if I PM you my FedEx account number ???

Thanks,
h25b
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Since this is copied from an original is it still legit...??? This is a numbered form and just a sample is available from the Customs web-site...
 

kilroy

http://www.filecabi.net/v
Joined
Jul 10, 2004
Posts
439
Total Time
7000+
We use photo copies all the time for custom forms. I used to clear customs 10 to 15 times a month all over the country and they never cared about photo copies as long as they can read it.

h25b said:
Since this is copied from an original is it still legit...??? This is a numbered form and just a sample is available from the Customs web-site...
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Thanks, I appreciate all the help... Take care...
 

EatSleepFly

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2003
Posts
648
Total Time
Some
I didn't see it mentioned, but when you call Canpass to set it up initially, get the badge # of the person you talked to. Saved me once when I showed up in Canada and they said, "we don't have anything on you." I told them I set it up through badge #12345 @ 2100 last night, and they worked it out. Don't know what kind of fun I would've had otherwise.

I go in and out of Canada (freight though, which is slightly different) probably a dozen times a month. I'd say 90% of any problems (delays, broker problems, etc.) that occur, are with U.S. Customs. It's very inconsistent, and there are a few real "pleasant" (not) inspectors who simply aren't happy until they've ruined your day.

It's not that bad though. Good luck!
 

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
EatSleepFly said:
It's very inconsistent, and there are a few real "pleasant" (not) inspectors who simply aren't happy until they've ruined your day.

It's not that bad though. Good luck!
That's my beef as well. You ask 3 different inspectors and get 3 different answers...
 

inthewind

When will spring be here?
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Posts
335
Total Time
6300+
Just did a drop-off in YYZ today. CANPass went exactly as planned, no problems. Used CLE as a port of entry to the US on the return. Noone came out to the plane so I called on the cell, there was an agent there in 2 minutes or less to clear us. Once he came out it took 1 minute(no kidding) to clear. Just make sure you've got the GenDec and you call CANPass before going to YYZ. The CANPass guy was actually impressed that I was w/in one minute of my off the cuff ETA.
 

eljefe

Active member
Joined
May 22, 2005
Posts
32
Total Time
21,000
Thing is Canadian customs has the option to inspect you on arrival. But they also have the option to clear you without an inspector appearing.

When you arrive, if nobody's there to meet you, call CANPASS. Tell them you're at CYYZ (or where ever), you're arrival time, and that you have no changes (since your call to them before you left). They'll give you a release number. Record that for future reference.

We cleared in CYYZ last week and two inspectors met us. Most of the time we just get a release number over the phone.

One other thing to watch out for...if you're bringing anyone back in to the U.S. who's not a U.S. citizen they MUST have a U.S. visa. The only exception is a Canadian citizen.

Passengers often mistakenly believe that because they can come in to the U.S. on the visa waiver program, they can do the same thing on a private airplane. Not so. You, the PIC, are liable for $5000 per infraction for bringing an alien in to the country, even someone from, say, the U.K., if they don't have a visa. And they can force the operator to take that alien back out of the country.

Not problems any of us would want to face.

edit:

OMT...there is no consitancy in among U.S. Customs and Immigration inspectors concerning the requirement for a Gen Dec and/or PAESAR 178 form. The regulations say that a commercial (135) flt needs a PAESAR. I always have both ready and hand them both to the inspector. If that inspector doesn't require one or the other, all I've lost is 5 minutes of my time for having filled it out.
 
Last edited:

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Joined
Jan 5, 2002
Posts
1,829
Total Time
.....
Thanks for all of the help... Just got back this afternoon. Been in to and out of Canada plenty of times part 91 and just wanted to make sure I covered all of the 135 bases. We went in and no one met us so we got cleared over the phone. Coming in we had no problems whatsoever. The agent was very easy to get along with. Have to go back Thurs. so I hope things go as smoothly..

Possible trip to Central America coming up later this month. There I really have no idea what I'm doing.. My partner speaks Spanish so maybe we'll be o.k.
 

kilroy

http://www.filecabi.net/v
Joined
Jul 10, 2004
Posts
439
Total Time
7000+
We got nailed for 5000$$ a couple of years ago because of the Visa Waiver program.. Learned the hard way about bringing aliens back in the country that originaly came in on a commercial flight.

Almost got nailed on a tech stop going thru ILM from Fort De-France. The customs officer asked our pax to come into the terminal to get processed. Once they were in the building the try to violate us for trying to clear a alien into the USA without a visa. And they wanted us to fly them back to Fort -De-france. After some further discussions and 3 calls to the superviser at 3am they let us continue to Canada.

eljefe said:
Thing is Canadian customs has the option to inspect you on arrival. But they also have the option to clear you without an inspector appearing.

When you arrive, if nobody's there to meet you, call CANPASS. Tell them you're at CYYZ (or where ever), you're arrival time, and that you have no changes (since your call to them before you left). They'll give you a release number. Record that for future reference.

We cleared in CYYZ last week and two inspectors met us. Most of the time we just get a release number over the phone.

One other thing to watch out for...if you're bringing anyone back in to the U.S. who's not a U.S. citizen they MUST have a U.S. visa. The only exception is a Canadian citizen.

Passengers often mistakenly believe that because they can come in to the U.S. on the visa waiver program, they can do the same thing on a private airplane. Not so. You, the PIC, are liable for $5000 per infraction for bringing an alien in to the country, even someone from, say, the U.K., if they don't have a visa. And they can force the operator to take that alien back out of the country.

Not problems any of us would want to face.

edit:

OMT...there is no consitancy in among U.S. Customs and Immigration inspectors concerning the requirement for a Gen Dec and/or PAESAR 178 form. The regulations say that a commercial (135) flt needs a PAESAR. I always have both ready and hand them both to the inspector. If that inspector doesn't require one or the other, all I've lost is 5 minutes of my time for having filled it out.
 

eljefe

Active member
Joined
May 22, 2005
Posts
32
Total Time
21,000
Ah...yup.

A real problem arises from the fact that many Customs inspectors are not aware of the regulations themselves. One may give you bad advice, telling you that you can bring a person in on a visa waiver. Then you show up and face a different inspector who knows the real story and you're screwed.

Another problem I used to have is lack of understanding of the rules at embassies and consulates. I'd tell our principle that their guest MUST have a visa. That guest would go to an embassy or consulate, only to be told they didn't need of visa to come in from France, or wherever, because of the visa waiver program.

I finally resorted to writing a letter to the director of immigration at a major U.S. port. I asked him to confirm, in writing, my understanding that a visa was required on private aircraft, and that one should not be denyed to an applicant by an issuing agency because of the visa waiver program. I got a perfect letter in reply and I still use it. When ever someone questions whether or not they need a visa, or if someone has trouble gettnig one at an embassy or consulate, I fax them a copy of the letter.

Bottom line as previously indicated....don't bring anyone in to the U.S. without a visa unless they're a U.S. or Canadian citizen.
 
Top