Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mdanno808

Maika'i Card Member
Are 24 hour reserve periods legal under part 135?

Yes, see the thread on rewrite of 135.

i just met with our POI for our base inspection. he flat out told us that the faa does not care if pilots are on reserve 24 hours a day, that it does not count as duty. once they initiate a flight, like going to the airport, that is when duty starts. we dont do that at our company and that is what we told him is the difference between a place where you want to work and where you dont want to.

Work here?

That must be why my interview schedule is full, people want to work here and they don't they are not supposed to know they don't want to work here. Must be the money?

Last edited:
That must be why my interview schedule is full, people want to work here and they don't they are not supposed to know they don't want to work here. Must be the money?

English, please.

Why? anyways he is over on the other site.

Why? anyways he is over on the other site.

I don't know which it is with you, Gramps, late senility or early Alzheimer's, but you're not making one lick of sense

Flyboy you are a newbie to this site who is out of touch with the old days on FI. English was a screen name of a major contributor to this site. He has gone to another site. So when you posted English I refereed to the old time poster. Does that make sense? Plus everyone else on this board knows I almost flunked the 4th grade for spellling.

Yes, see the thread on rewrite of 135.

Actually, the answer to the origininal question is depends. Some POI's correctly consider home reserve as duty time. The way I look at it, if I can't be in Argentina when the company comes calling, then I'm on duty. Meaning, if I have to be available, I am on duty. If I'm "on call" from 6 am to 6 pm, between 6 pm and 6 am I can be in Argentina (or any where else for that matter) as long as I'm back by 6 am.

Pilot's can not go into suspended animation and just thaw out when the company needs them. I realise that it is nearly impossible to predict when an adhoc charter is going to pop up, but that does not negate that pilots do get tired.

In any case, if your POI doesn't have the balls, or the brains, to correctly enforce the rules, you (as a pilot) can always envoke 91.13 and tell your boss it isn't legal for you to fly because you are too tired. I've done it many times. If the company is too cheap to hire enough people to cover an aicraft 24/7 legally, then they are too cheap to train a pilot to replace you.

Fatigue is the key, because when a crew is fatigued, they call fatigue and go to the hotel. In fact to fly fatigued, would be a violation of 91.13, careless and reckless. To start a trip at 0600 after a good night's sleep it is almost a no brainer to fly until 2200 or 2300 and still feel fresh. I would rather tail end 91 ferry back to LRD than go through the hassle of staying at MMTO, I will most likely get to bed quicker in LRD. However after no sleep from being up all day and getting called out at 2300, you may find at 0600 the next day after 7 hours you are fatigued, so you call fatigue even though you are still legal for another 7 hours. There is no rest policy that will keep a crew fresh for all flights. How about I call you at 0900, and get you out of bed after 10 hrs of sleep, I tell you to go into rest at 1000 for a 2000 trip. Are you going to get any more rest in the next 9 hours? You will most likely not unless you take sleeping pills. The trip is scheduled for 13 hrs, you are 100% legal by the regs, are you still alert at 0900? you would be legal until 1200 the next morning? As someone else posted here it is the PIC's duty to determine if he can safely make the trip. You cannot regulate that beyond common sense. My experience with this rule comes from inspections with the FAA while reviewing our flight and duty time records.

Latest resources

Back