Part 125

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

I have a few questions regarding FAR Part 125.

From what I understand it is for large (AIRPLANES HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 20 OR MORE PASSENGERS OR A MAXIMUM PAYLOAD CAPACITY OF 6,000 POUNDS OR MORE) aircraft operated for private use i.e. BBJ, 727.

1. Do all aircraft that fall into the 'large aircraft' class have to be operated under Part 125?
2. If the answer to question 1 is no, why would someone operate under Part 125, when they can be Part 91?
3. Wouldn't a G550 or GLEX have a payload capacity of 6,000 lbs or more?

Thanks!

I think that 6000 pounds is reguarding cargo and those planes in a corporate configuration as normally seen do not have that kind of cargo capacity though I am sure if you are working for the wrong people it could seem like it's that much luggage you are loading though.

well when you bought a 737 and wanted to use it for personal reasons the a/c was initially intended to be a airliner so hence part 125
the maintenance falls under 121
and the pilots reg fall somewhere around part 135
although now with boeing and other people selling large a/c now to private people I have no idea if they are part 125 or if the a/c is used as part 91
also with a part 125 letter of authorization you can not advertize for business or it would be part 121

Canucit said:
although now with boeing and other people selling large a/c now to private people I have no idea if they are part 125 or if the a/c is used as part 91
FAR 125.1 talks about the airplanes it covers and those that are exempt. Unless coming within one of the exemptions, even a private owner who will use the a 737 for personal use under Part 91 will come under part 125.

The 6,000 pounds would be the difference between max zero fuel weight and basic operating weight. I would imagine on a G550 or GLEX that this number would be less.

I have heard that there is an STC you can get for some of the Boeings which reduces the zero fuel weight, so that the payload is less than 6,000 pounds, and thus the aircraft can be operated under 91 (assuming 19 seats or less).

Groundpounder said:
I have a few questions regarding FAR Part 125.

From what I understand it is for large (AIRPLANES HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 20 OR MORE PASSENGERS OR A MAXIMUM PAYLOAD CAPACITY OF 6,000 POUNDS OR MORE) aircraft operated for private use i.e. BBJ, 727.

1. Do all aircraft that fall into the 'large aircraft' class have to be operated under Part 125?
2. If the answer to question 1 is no, why would someone operate under Part 125, when they can be Part 91?
3. Wouldn't a G550 or GLEX have a payload capacity of 6,000 lbs or more?

Thanks!

I fly for a Part 125 Operator. Not entirely sure of aircraft specs, but we fly a 16 hr. duty day. At the end of that period we can fly home Part 91. Makes for extremely long days. Also, we can only fly for 4 different companies.

Latest resources

Back