Part 121 Max DUTY TIME... To be clear?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Viking says:
Now the question is what is the definition of duty time? Lets say you have a 12 hour reserve and on the 12th hour they call you for a trip. Do you have 16 hours from that point or 4 hours?

The company I work for says you can work the 16 hours because you weren't on duty while sitting reserves. However, while sitting reserves you are not "off duty" because you can't drink a beer.

My guess is that you fly for World or Gemini doing international non-scheduled operations. The answer for guys like you an me is found in the ALPA reserve rest requirements that MetroSheriff posted.
9. Does the reserve rest requirement apply to international or supplemental operations?

No.

So, we're screwed. One of the captains I flew with said to the engineer and myself on a long trans Pacific flight.
Let me know if you guys get tired and want to take a nap, because it really pi$$es me off to wake up and find both you guys asleep!

One of these days someone may figure out that international crews get tired too.

International rules-no duty time-you can just legally go on and on and on and on----and we do. Tri-star driver-I see that you guys picked up the AMC Kef run.......enjoy it. I think it will be going on the 757.

"..... And my second question is- If you read FAR 121.471 (B) 2 and 3..... it says "8 or more but less than 9 hours of scheduled flight time" and "9 or more hours of scheduled flight time." The question I have here is how can you have more than 8 hours of SCHEDULED flight time??? Isn't this illegal. I know you can have more than 8 hours of ACTUAL flight time (like weather delays). But this says "SCHEDULED"???"

This is the 24 hour look-back. The amount of rest that is legal for you tonight is a function of how much flying you did today, and how much you will do tomorrow up until the time you started flying today.

Let's say you took off at noon, flew 5 scheduled hours (regardless of how many block hours you ended up with due to holding, etc.), were scheduled for 9.5 hours of rest, and were scheduled to fly 4.5 hours tomorrow before noon.

Perfectly legal.

Now lets say you were delayed on day one, and the company wants to give you 8.0 hours of rest so you can start day two on time.

This is legal ONLY if they take away some of your flying on day 2 to get the TOTAL SCHEDULED flying time of the 24 hour period under 9 hours.

Or, they could have you delay a departure on day 2 until after the time you started flying on day 1. In other words, as you are adding flying, it is also coming off your 24 hour look-back at the same time. But then you have to make sure the leg length on day two is the same or shorter than the leg length on day one.

Clear as mud? I thought so. A lot of crew schedulers and some pilots miss this one, because it doesn't happen that often, but it can lead to a violation.

Latest resources

Back